Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which one?

Options
rgnbull1227
rgnbull1227 Member Posts: 2
Checking to see what the proper nozzle is for my Weil McLain P-WGO-5 Boiler. Some say a 1.25 also heard 1.20. Any idea which is the proper nozzle size?
Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    At the risk of asking the obvious, what nozzle does the burner maker and Weil McClain recommend? Much more important than the flow rate is the angle and type! Chances are that either flow rate would work fine, if the angle and type are correct, and neither would work if the angle and type are wrong.

Furthermore, don't even think of installing a nozzle unless you have the proper gauges to set the burner up. It can't be done by eye.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Like @Jamie Hall said, you can't just change the nozzle and walk away. What burner is in the boiler?
    Even with the Beckett, Riello, Carlin, or god forbid, the Wayne QB180, OEM specs for the GO-5. The listed settings are just a starting point. You need a smoke tester and combustion analyzer to ensure proper combustion.
    If you're a service tech and you specify the burner, I can tell you the correct nozzle for that boiler, but again, does it need to be max fired?
    My WGO-3 rated at .95 GPH has a Riello F5. (I junked the Wayne QB180 when I bought the house). With a .60 nozzle and the pump pressure adjusted, I'm burning .79 GPH.
  • rgnbull1227
    rgnbull1227 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys. The Burner is Model AFG-AF44YY Head F6 Nozzle 1.50x80B
    Pump is Beckett Cleancut A2ea-6520
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    According to the Beckett OEM spec guide, that is the correct nozzle for the Weil McLain GO-5. At 100 PSI pump pressure.
    Starting air adjustments are
    Shutter -10
    Band-2
    Keeping in mind that proper operation must be checked with a combustion analyzer and a smoke test.
    Also we don't know the actual heat loss of the home and that firing rate is based on design day (coldest days of the year) temperature. Any other time, the boiler is over fired.
    I would recommend having a qualified technician down fire the burner to a
    1.10 70B and go back up if needed in the future.This will also help prevent short cycling.