Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Debate on terminology

Options

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    That's how I see it also. Any chamber that contains the fire could be a furnace, regardless of what it heats. The old BOF basic oxygen furnaces melted steel at the Lackawana Plant near where I grew up.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    That would be the area of hot air?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    They are using the term to differentiate parts of the boiler, because it makes it very easy to understand what part of the boiler they are talking about. Like heating systems.....boiler vs. furnace should be easily understood. It always use to be.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,723
    Options
    Up next, Stillson wrench vs Pipe wrench.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    yoo say tomato, i say tomato
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Ugh. I have a headache from this. Think I'll go sit in my recessed basin automatic bubble maker filled with liquid from the hot water generator. Now, what's the diff between a joint and a blunt? My consensus is a blunt can be a joint, but a joint can't be a blunt. And if you use a Cuban wrapper, are you breaking the law twice?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Stillson is a brand name and specific design. Pipe wrench is a group of tools. Rigid pipe wrench from Ohio is the only one worth owning. No debate.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts @HVACNUT both are legal here. Not really my type of hobby but legal.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Toilet,John,commode,Crapper etc?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    > @Charlie from wmass said:
    > @HVACNUT both are legal here. Not really my type of hobby but legal.

>>judging from the intensity of the opinions in this thread, I thought you were all stoned out of your gourds. I thought it was a Hershey thing with all that chocolate around and all.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    We are nothing if not passionate. Stone cold sober.

cell # 413-841-6726
    Rich_49
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    @ChrisJ water closet.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • ChrisJ
    Options

@ChrisJ water closet.

Water closet or WC?
    I prefer The WC my self.

Sounds more............official.

I've got about 10 other names for it as well.
    Charlie from wmass
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I use the term "facilities" in public.

At home with 3 kids it gets all kinds of fun names that I won't mention, mainly in reference to making sure all the excrement goes into said container.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Y'all , you all.....Yonder, over there...green backs, mpc.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    I was always scolded for using the phrase " hot water heater " to describe a residential water heater..........
    Rich_49Canuckerrick in Alaska
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    @MikeL as you should have been. Lol My father was the worst offender so I got a pass.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    I was told if it was a HOT water heater why would you need it? I learned that lesson in the late 1960's......
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just wait until the next time I see someone say "Condensing hot water boiler".

Arguing over the term "hot water heater" and claiming you can't call a boiler a furnace, and yet being totally ok with calling hot water boilers, that do not boil, boilers is a bit ridiculous.

:)

Yes, I call it a boiler too and overall I agree that a furnace and boiler are different. But I don't think anyone should be scalded or even corrected over it.

That's all.
    Honestly this started over me busting Charles's chops on FB. :p
    He's just not willing to admit defeat so decided to start a public survey.
    HVACNUT
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    usually here "furnaces" are referenced as farced air, scorched air, furnasty,

But if you want to call your steam boiler a furnace @ChrisJ , and field questions about people's furnace systems that make steam it's okay. :D
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    Still am not admitting to you being correct @ChrisJ

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Wow , the industry must need to get together now and hash out how what we refer to as a heat exchanger in a boiler will furthermore be known as a furnace . Maybe we should just call them combustion chambers though . LMFAO
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Rich said:

Wow , the industry must need to get together now and hash out how what we refer to as a heat exchanger in a boiler will furthermore be known as a furnace . Maybe we should just call them combustion chambers though . LMFAO

Nope.
    Charles just needs to admit he was wrong, for once.

I know.............I've got a better chance of seeing god.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    When Rich and I agree I I am sure it is a sign of the end of days. LOL

cell # 413-841-6726
    Rich_49
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,309
    Options
    To those who have mentioned hot water heater... perhaps they really are cold water heaters... :p

Yours, Larry
    Gordy
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    The only time I have ever used a hot water heater has been for a commercial kitchen to supply the dishwasher where I get 125 degree water and raise up to 160 degrees for the dishwasher.

cell # 413-841-6726
    MikeL_2
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2017
    Options

The only time I have ever used a hot water heater has been for a commercial kitchen to supply the dishwasher where I get 125 degree water and raise up to 160 degrees for the dishwasher.

So you consider 125F to be hot water? So if a water heater takes in 125F water, you're ok with calling it a "hot water heater" ? But 125F is cool compared to 160F.

40F is really hot compared to -100F.

• Charlie from wmass
    Options
    @ChrisJ yes

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    This argument is as pointless as the ones me and my brothers had when I was a kid.

But carry on.
    GordyRich_49
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options

This argument is as pointless as the ones me and my brothers had when I was a kid.

But carry on.

Yes, but they put a smile on our faces.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Charlie from wmass
  • Gordy
    Options
    So I would say @ChrisJ lost this one hands down. Better go back to Facebook page, and declare defeat.
    Charlie from wmass
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Gordy said:

So I would say @ChrisJ lost this one hands down. Better go back to Facebook page, and declare defeat.

Got to agree with you Gordy...
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Never! :)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    Darn vikings never know when you've already lost.

cell # 413-841-6726
    ChrisJCanucker
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Darn vikings never know when you've already lost.

Valhalla I am coming!!!!!!!!
  • Rich_49
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

So you consider 125F to be hot water? So if a water heater takes in 125F water, you're ok with calling it a "hot water heater" ? But 125F is cool compared to 160F.

Time to stop with nonsensical comparative references ChrisJ . Please remember that many come here who have no clue about anything what so ever , should they read something like this someone could be put at risk . For anyone who may fit this description , there are varying definitions of hot water , many states recognize ASSE Standards and any questions or references to be considered should probably come from there , not the many Boobs who debate such subjects here , myself included .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
    Charlie from wmassChrisJ
  • Rich_49
    Options

When Rich and I agree I I am sure it is a sign of the end of days. LOL

Even a liberal from Massachusetts is right occasionally .
    732-751-1560
    Charlie from wmassGordyCanucker
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    @ChrisJ

The battle of Copenhagen - Ten thousand swedes beat the weeds looking for one Norwege, ten thousand more were held at the door by ONE Norwegian ****!

When my grandfather and uncle would hoist a few one of them would always start reciting that ditty but God help them if my grandmother heard them. Albert and Fritz were a good foot taller but you would be surprised at how fast a couple of 70 year old's could run when she got after them with a rolling pin in her hand!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJCanuckerPaul48
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Rich said:

ChrisJ said:

Time to stop with nonsensical comparative references ChrisJ . Please remember that many come here who have no clue about anything what so ever , should they read something like this someone could be put at risk . For anyone who may fit this description , there are varying definitions of hot water , many states recognize ASSE Standards and any questions or references to be considered should probably come from there , not the many Boobs who debate such subjects here , myself included .
    Agreed.

But Charles is still wrong.
    :)
  • Gordy
    Options
    Nope tribal council has spoken. Come to terms with your defeat.
    Charlie from wmassRich_49Canucker