Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In line check valve for whole House water filtration/softener?

Options
LionA29
LionA29 Member Posts: 255
edited May 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi guys, I picked up this Matco-Norca Dual Check Back Flow Preventer Valve but wanted to know if there is anything better the Pros can recommend?
Reason is, when my sprinkler turns on, its pulls water from my softer/filter also. So I have to shut the bypass manual down to run the sprinkler.
Any recommendations will be appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    The line to your sprinkler should be connected to the incoming water main before the water softener. If it is, and it still pulls water from the softener, where is that water coming from?

A backflow preventer should go on the sprinkler feed line, to prevent any possibility of water from the sprinkler system from getting into the domestic water. In some areas this is required by code. In many areas the dual check which you referenced is not regarded as adequate backflow prevention for such a connection, rather a reduced pressure zone backflow preventer is required. Check with your authority having jurisdiction on that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • LionA29
    Options
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > The line to your sprinkler should be connected to the incoming water main before the water softener. If it is, and it still pulls water from the softener, where is that water coming from?
    >
    @Jamie Hall You're Quite correct on the installation and it is coming from the softener because there is a counter feature on the clock.
    I took a picture and did my best to label it for clarification, hope it helps.
    Sprinkler has a double check backflow preventer on that line going out.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I don't see how it is pulling from the softener, unless the softener is supplied from a different source or main?

Does the softener have a flow meter that you see spinning when the sprinklers run?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    Thank you! I don't quite see how that arrangement will pull water from the softener, but... if it does, that double check you mention can be put in between the sprinkler takeoff and the softener and should help. May lose some pressure through it, but it shouldn't be too bad...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    Options
    Yes, @hot rod . When I shut the valve off then the flow meter goes to zero. That's why I wanted a check valve going into the softener.
  • LionA29
    Options
    Thank you @Jamie Hall . I notice the internals are all plastic, I was looking for something more robust( stainless and brass)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A simple lead free check valve should work.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Installed Dual check backflow preventer and all is well. Thanks everyone who contributed!