Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Boiler Piping

jmbreton
jmbreton Member Posts: 3
My Burnham boiler rusted out and has a hole after only 8 years. I was told by one technician that it was piped incorrectly but was not given specifics. I reviewed the Burnham diagrams and see differences, but the original installer inspected it recently and said it was fine. Attached are the photos. I would like to know what is wrong with how it is piped.
Thank you.
-Joey

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    edited May 2017
    The installer can say anything that he wants: it doesn't make it true.

The manual is the authority for the MINIMUM piping requirements, not an installer's opinion.

A few quick observations:
    1. Sweated copper pipe should not have been used above the water line, especially on the risers out of the boiler or on the header.
    2. The risers should not be Tee'd together but should enter the header separately.
    3. There should be no horizontal piping until at least 24" above the boiler's water line.
    4. The header is piped wrong and will result in wet steam being delivered to the system.
    5. It looks like the installer didn't have a pipe threader so he short cut by using copper which could cause the block to crack.

Here's what a properly piped steam boiler looks like:

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Robert O'Brien
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Completely wrong but not the cause of a rotted section above water line, if in fact that is the immediate problem
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ChrisJ
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Ask him to explain to you why he thinks that the boiler is piped correctly....
    1 Ask him why he chose copper
    2 Ask him why risers don't need 24 inches
    3 Ask him to briefly explain to you how a steam system operates
    4 Ask him why he deviated from the min. specs the manufacture
    recommended.
    5 Ask him for your money back,them show him the door...
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Where are you located? We may be able to recommend a competent steam contractor in your area.

For reference I would not allow the person who installed that to ever come into my house again.

Honestly it's so wrong I am not even sure where to begin describing the problems.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    The original installer had no business working on steam.

That said, I'd assume your rotted section is due to either leaks in the system (vents, radiator valves etc) and or your water quality.

That said, forget the original installer, unless he's able to get the block covered under warranty which is highly doubtful.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mercedes
    mercedes Member Posts: 67
    I am a novice at steam. Could the pin hole due too much fresh water being introduce into the boiler?
  • j a_2
    mercedes said:

I am a novice at steam. Could the pin hole due too much fresh water being introduce into the boiler?

Where is the pin hole....was a complete hydrostatic test done?
  • j a_2
    Sorry for the back to back posts....but don't give up on chasing him for money back....You deserve something
  • ChrisJ
    j a said:

mercedes said:

Where is the pin hole....was a complete hydrostatic test done?
    j a said:

Sorry for the back to back posts....but don't give up on chasing him for money back....You deserve something

He's not the op nor did he say he had a rotted boiler?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Now I am confused....or someone is confused..... I don't need a moderator....
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Judging from the stickers he is in New Hampshire.
    That boiler is a total mess...
    Manual never got opened.
  • j a_2
    Why as one suggested thinking that Burnham will back him with a new block..I stand with Burnham on this one...if fact forbid him from purchasing any more boilers...he's giving the company a bad rap
  • jmbreton
    I'm in Northeast Massachusetts. I'm the homeowner. The boiler was replaced in the fall of 2008 with a change from oil to gas. I think they added the copper piping and fit it to the other existing pipes instead of replacing them all. I don't know exactly where the leak is, but steam was blowing into my chimney. Installer tried to get Burnham to cover the block under warranty, but the claim was rejected.
  • ChrisJ
    jmbreton said:

I'm in Northeast Massachusetts. I'm the homeowner. The boiler was replaced in the fall of 2008 with a change from oil to gas. I think they added the copper piping and fit it to the other existing pipes instead of replacing them all. I don't know exactly where the leak is, but steam was blowing into my chimney. Installer tried to get Burnham to cover the block under warranty, but the claim was rejected.

@Charlie from wmass Is who you want.

Ironman
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    @jmbreton What is it you wish to gain or move forward with at this point? As stated the installation would void the warranty. It would also shorten the life of the boiler and increase your fuel consumption and reduce your comfort. The installer is lucky to not be charged with destruction of property and slander attaching his name to the Burnham boiler, and I am not a fan of their boiler but it lasts longer than 8 years if installed properly.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • jmbreton
    I'm not sure where to go from here. I wanted the installer to fix it properly and not charge me extra for the work. All of this information today has been very helpful so I can ask them the right questions. I don't want a new boiler right now.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Talk about crow flying the piping!!!!!!!! The shortest distance between two points...............................is a straight line.

and the installer said the piping was fine! He obviously never learned to read.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    jmbreton said:

I'm not sure where to go from here. I wanted the installer to fix it properly and not charge me extra for the work. All of this information today has been very helpful so I can ask them the right questions. I don't want a new boiler right now.

You may not want a new boiler but, at this [point, that's the only way you are going to be reaady for next winter. If steam was blowing up your chimney, at least one of the sections is rotted out above the water line and, if one section blew, other sections are likely not too far behind. Bite the bullet and get that boiler replaced by someone who knows what he is doing. @Charlie from wmass is definitely your man. Do it now, not in the middle of nest winter when everybody will be extremely busy, your options will be far fewer and you'll end up with another botched installation.
    IronmanRomanGK_26986764589MilanD