Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Decisions decisions decisions, gas mod/con

Options
Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
With recent talk about fire tube HX and all the potential for failure, my (I thought) final answer of a Weil Mclain ECO70 is being second guessed. I'd considered a Viessmann 100, but the turndowns are not that great, but the watertube HX is a proven design. I may even consider the 200 line.

The data, design load of 50,000 btu at 120 degree water. Considering buying my own propane tank(s) and have sold my oil boiler and tank. Have the summer to decide, this will be essentially backup to my wood fired system. However may be used entirely when I'm not able to burn wood, so that is really not relevant I guess.

Mod/cons are few and far between around here, mostly oil still. Both are locally available and supported as well as Bosch and Lochinvar.

I'm willing to do it right the first time, but lack the long term expirence and reliability to pull the trigger on anything yet. The aluminum HX scares me in the Bosch.

Taylor
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Stay away from the aluminum. Water quality requirements go to another level. KHN 55....7:1 TDR.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I have seen very few fire tube failures. I believe most of them where a result of poor water quality. It turns out they make great dirt separators.
    I was speaking with the Lochinvar rep the other day. They are rolling out a 10 to 1 firetube in the near future.
    I have had an original Triangle Tube for 10 years. I think I have replaced one cracked sensor about 5 years ago otherwise flawless...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Bob Bona_4
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Lochinvar has the KHN085 that is a 10:1. I have put in 8 or 9 so far, And they are working out great. Plus the HTP is also 10:1 I believe.
    Rick
  • Zman
    Options

Lochinvar has the KHN085 that is a 10:1. I have put in 8 or 9 so far, And they are working out great. Plus the HTP is also 10:1 I believe.
    Rick

The word is that the firetube model will soon follow with 10 to 1
    Albert Einstein
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    No triangle tube distribution in my area. However, that isn't as much of a problem as a breakdown isn't the end of the world honestly.
  • Gordy
    Options
    The KHN line is a 10:1 fire tube except the 55 which is 7:1 tdr.
  • Zman
    Options
    The Lochinvar firetube is very similar to the Triangle Tube. If it is well supported in your area, that would be my suggestion.
    Albert Einstein
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The KHN/WHN 055 was on my short list. I was fairly certain the same HX wad used in the Weil Mclain ECO series. Either Korean (think Navian) or European. TT may now manufacture their own, but I thought some smaller ones were outsourced.

As a side note, the stripped down ECO is the direction I was leaning as I already have an elaborate control system I built to control my existing oil boiler. It seems Lochinvar doesn't make a stripped down mod/con for less $$$.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Cadet however it's WT.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    Yeah, I remember seeing the Cadet, has a Gionanni it looks like. If the whole thing didn't look so cheesy...
  • Gordy
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For all wallet sizes :) it is SS.
    Solid_Fuel_Man