Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Work gloves

Options
KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
So I go through on average 2 pairs of gloves per year. I like the mechanic style work gloves since they fit snug and I can actually work with them. I wear gloves for almost any project around the house.

My issue is I only use these on the weekend and as I said 2 pair per year. They just don't seem to hold up. I've tried a couple different brands and they all seem the same (of the ones I've tried).

So what does the wall think? Opinions on glove brands, styles and anything else. I don't mind spending money I just want ones that hold up for a little longer.

Again the "mechanic style" are my favorite.
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I seem to wipe out my gloves in about a month, but the ones I have been using are on the lightweight side. Kind of flexible material on the back and rubber coated on the grip side. They don't like solder on them.
    I would like to see a pair like the mechanics style glove with this same type of grip, can breathe well, and are flexible.
    Maybe we need to invent our own pair!
    Rick
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    really I don't think I have big hands but I have a hard time finding gloves large enough. I find something I like but if I have to fight them on and....... off forget it

I like something I can put on and off easily......Some things you can't do with gloves on so I end up not wearing any....and regret it
    rick in Alaska
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    I'm interested! I usually use moderately heavy leather (cowhide) gloves, but a lot of my work is outside or carpentry, and the fact that they are clumsy is more of a major annoyance than anything. I would like something considerably more flexible... but, at the same time, it absolutely has to protect my hands from burns, cuts, abrasions and other insults since -- when I'm not playing with saws and torches and farm machinery I have a second life... as a concert pianist.

So any suggestions will be more than welcome!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think to only expect to go through two pair a year for any gloves is a stretch depending on what you do with them.

I'm pretty fond of WL work gloves for fit, and wear. They have mechanic style.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Considering I only use these for personal use on the weekends is why I think 2 per year is excessive. If I replaced them when they got their first tear or hole it would probably be 8-10 per year.

If I was using them daily I would be happy with 2 pair per year. Attached is my current pair less than a year old. I have another pair similar shape from last year. Usually buy 2 at a time one stays in garage one in workshop.

Just wanted to see if someone had brand recommendations they have had good luck with, not unlike a good work boot recommendation.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Gordy said:

I think to only expect to go through two pair a year for any gloves is a stretch depending on what you do with them.

I'm pretty fond of WL work gloves for fit, and wear. They have mechanic style.

You may have solved it for me. I recognize those gloves as ones I bought many years ago when working in the plastics factory. Those wore like iron and fit fantastic. I may try them again.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gordy
    Options
    Well it's like this. The thinner the material, and more life like the glove the shorter it's life span. I think you need to trade off some sense of touch for some material so they will last longer.

Leather is not the best for wear nowadays with better synthetic materials.

What is discerning is the price of gloves anymore. I spend 12 bucks a pair min. For good ones.
  • Gordy
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Three of my favorites depending on chore, and season.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @Gordy I don't expect miracles by any means, but some of the ones I have used and paid 12+ dollars for tear open on the second or third use. They end up like the one pictured and I will duck tape them etc. just to save a few bucks before I buy another pair.

I think tearing on the second or third use is a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for the recommendation I may try them. Ace is on my way home so it's easy to stop and check them out.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gordy
    Options
    I agree for the money spent you should get more than that out of them. What brand are the ines you use?
  • Gordy
    Options
    One glove I can't stand is the cotton chore gloves. In the winter if they get wet makes my hands dry out, and crack.
    Canuckerkcopp
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Honestly I don't even know which brands I have tried, I just buy something different from the last time. I was picking with a shotgun hoping to get lucky eventually. I decided that was dumb (as it usually is) and figured I would try here as I generally get solid advice from everyone.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I miss the brown cotton gloves for soldering. All the brown gloves now are blends and hot solder melts them.

Thick leather for firewood gathering.

I've yet to find a mechanics gloves that I can pick up a nail, and the high tech gloves can be $$

I found some gloves that has scotchbrite pads built into the palms for cleaning copper pipe
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

So I go through on average 2 pairs of gloves per year.

LOL, I wish I only went through 2 pairs a year. Not sure what activities you're using them for but I'm super hard on gloves with 100+ acre farm and horse barn to take care of. Most of my wear and tear comes from clearing brush and gardening/landscaping. For the everyday chores my fav glove is the Atlas Nitrile. I go through about 3 or 4 pair a year and they're washable too. For heavy duty bramble & brush clearing I slip on my Bionic rose gloves. I have a really old pair of cowhide leather welding gloves I kept of my grandfathers and they have to be 40+ years old now and still perfectly serviceable.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I think the only people that don't wear mechanic's gloves are mechanics. If my hands aren't bleeding a little, I'm not working. :smile:
    j a_2
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    My landscaping activities are at a minimum if I can help it. Washable doesn't even cross my mind, though the smell from the dead critter the other day doesn't seem to be going away (yum). I have .10 acre. ;)
    Paul48 said:

I think the only people that don't wear mechanic's gloves are mechanics. If my hands aren't bleeding a little, I'm not working. :smile:

I went through the bleeding hand thing many years ago. I need my hands for my livelihood (using computers) so I do my best to take care of the hands. Also I find I can work harder and get more done when my hands feel good and have no pain.

I look at my father who wasn't very diligent about his PPE in his life (though he is the safety police with others). He has both knees replaced, his hands are jacked up beyond description and he is practically deaf (doctor said he will be deaf if he lives long enough). He still works and gets around at 72, but it's catching up with him fast. It's just not worth that for me to abuse my body to that extent I want to be doing my hobbies (cars and houses) at 80+ years of age if I can help it.

I find gloves not only offer protection but also significant vibration isolation. For example painting my garage I ran my sander for 6 solid hours per day 2 days a week for several months. With gloves I can do that, without gloves I find my hands going numb within 30 minutes or less. Gloves do more than people realize, knee pads, hearing protection all those things offer long term benefits that aren't always obvious in the short term.

Doctors can replace parts to a point, but it is never like OEM equipment.

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject, good stuff!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

My landscaping activities are at a minimum if I can help it. Washable doesn't even cross my mind, though the smell from the dead critter the other day doesn't seem to be going away (yum). I have .10 acre. ;)

Paul48 said:

I went through the bleeding hand thing many years ago. I need my hands for my livelihood (using computers) so I do my best to take care of the hands. Also I find I can work harder and get more done when my hands feel good and have no pain.

I look at my father who wasn't very diligent about his PPE in his life (though he is the safety police with others). He has both knees replaced, his hands are jacked up beyond description and he is practically deaf (doctor said he will be deaf if he lives long enough). He still works and gets around at 72, but it's catching up with him fast. It's just not worth that for me to abuse my body to that extent I want to be doing my hobbies (cars and houses) at 80+ years of age if I can help it.

I find gloves not only offer protection but also significant vibration isolation. For example painting my garage I ran my sander for 6 solid hours per day 2 days a week for several months. With gloves I can do that, without gloves I find my hands going numb within 30 minutes or less. Gloves do more than people realize, knee pads, hearing protection all those things offer long term benefits that aren't always obvious in the short term.

Doctors can replace parts to a point, but it is never like OEM equipment.

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject, good stuff!
    I absolutely agree. PPE is extremely important, and if possible everyone should find a way to use something to protect your body parts that might be affected by the job you're doing. I wear hearing and eye protection, all day long. I set up a kneel pad or pads in the areas I am working in. Unfortunately, I deal with small nut and bolts and gloves don't work well. For me...small nicks and scratches are part of the job. I have to police the areas I'm working in, because I am working around razor blades, all day long. I wish I could wear them.

KC_Jones
  • dsigler
    dsigler Member Posts: 1
    Options
    You might be happy with kevlar reinforced motorcycle or utility gloves. I've had decent luck with youngstown ones. Butcher gloves can be good for some applications. Theres no such thing as a comfortable heavy duty glove that lasts forever though, unless you want to where chainmail (even those break down over time, but I've had one pair last for almost 5 years now).
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Speaking of protection,

I started using these a while back, after cutting concrete wearing one. I keep a full box on hand now because they are so much better than the cheap ones without a valve that don't fit right.

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-2300N95-Particulate-Respirator-Dispenser/dp/B000EZUOZM/ref=pd_sim_194_2/146-1121690-0747436?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000EZUOZM&pd_rd_r=3ESZZSF3M7VCAZT4TBC6&pd_rd_w=2qMxZ&pd_rd_wg=4eOMv&psc=1&refRID=3ESZZSF3M7VCAZT4TBC6

Moldex 2300N95 Non-Oil Based Particulate Respirator

They cost a lot more, but it's worth it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @ChrisJ wearing a dusk mask is a place where I slouch terribly. I think because I sweat so bad I have been turned off to them. The only time I typically wear anything is when spraying paint or tearing out plaster. In those instances I generally just put on my paint respirator. Either plain filters for dust or carbon filters for painting.

I find them to be more comfortable.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

@ChrisJ wearing a dusk mask is a place where I slouch terribly. I think because I sweat so bad I have been turned off to them. The only time I typically wear anything is when spraying paint or tearing out plaster. In those instances I generally just put on my paint respirator. Either plain filters for dust or carbon filters for painting.

I find them to be more comfortable.

Buy a pack of those, I think you'll be amazed at the difference that checkvalve makes regarding sweat.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    rick in Alaska
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    If I hate them you have to buy them back from me. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gordy
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Silicosis is a serious matter.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Try that one again!