Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking air vent on radiator

Joe R
Joe R Member Posts: 11
Why would a HVAC contractor not allow me to go to his location and purchase a new air vent for my rad? They said I needed a service call @ $150.00 to access the situation. the local HVAC supplier would NOT sell me a vent because I wasn't a contractor. Eventually I got a vent for $4.99 and everything is solved.
It really makes me sick to think that these tattooed repair people think that I am that stupid that I cannot repair a simple task. Perhaps society should stand up against rip off HVAC repairmen. Just maybe having a licence is BS and nothing more than a licence to rip us off.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Bit of a rant, there -- but if anyone wonders why on-line supply houses and places like the big boxes stores and Amazon are eating the local's lunch, there you have it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I would also add that trying to source a retail item through an HVAC install/service contractor wasn't the place to start. It's a retail item so you go to the store.

For perspective would you call a framing contractor to buy a 2x4 or would you go to the lumber yard?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15