Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to Gas conversion boiler - need to remove chimney

Options
PureSilver
PureSilver Member Posts: 2
we converted our axeman anderson boiler (model #87NPO) with a Carlin Ez-Gas burner and it is currently vented through the existing chimney with a stainless liner. My issue is that there was an addition constructed before we moved in and we would like to move the chimney to put a hallway in.
Can i move the chimney to the side of the hallway with double wall stainless pipe? i could come straight out with a 45 to a 90 and straight up from basement through main floor then through attic and then the roof. I could also go the powervent route as well out the side of the house @10'. but would prefer to go out the roof. i am just not sure what i can do and what i cant.

thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Check with your local building inspector or other authority having jurisdiction. Codes -- and local interpretations of them -- differ.

And if you do find you can remove the chimney -- or just move it -- have a qualified individual check and make sure that you won't cause structural problems.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    double wall vent is code in most towns, check yours to find out, make sure it is lined with insulation. i would check the draft after installing, might have to add pipe up top to get your .05 draft after breach,...all that for a hall way, your brave, also wouldnt use powervent on a gas fired burner!!!!! the draft is to strong for gas fired equipment
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • PureSilver
    PureSilver Member Posts: 2
    Options
    that was the information that i was looking for right there!

I dont know much about all of this can you explain more about the draft and how to check that after install

• newagedawn
    Options
    ill get a pic for you, give me a day
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • newagedawn
    Options
    http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Chimney_Draft_Measurement.php
    this is a good reference, you will need a tool to measure the draft, a manonamer or draftrite, anywhere around negative .02 and .05 is good and thats it , connect flue form boiler to chimney , drill hole 6 inches from top of boiler in the flue for the test , fire boiler and see what you got if you dont get that negative pressure youll have to add a piece 2 ft piece of double wall pipe to the top of your chimney till you get that negative .02 to .05