Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars HQ-1100 installed around 1985 and a Turbotax indirect

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646

Hi Guys, I have a Laars HQ-1100 installed around 1985 and a Turbotax indirect. The pressure on the heating side is only between 12-15lbs so I know there's no domestic water getting into the heating circuit. Pump is properly sized for a boiler and indirect, but boiler is overheating as the heat exchanger is plugged up. You can see some of the rust particles I've removed from the heat exchanger in the picture. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success cleaning these heat exchangers. Especially on something that is 30+ years old. There are 2 identical units with (2) TUrbomax for an apartment building. Looks like they were installed roughly the same time. One is working, one runs for a few minutes and then starts to make a lot of noise (over heating). There is a flow switch and there is enough circulation to operate the flow switch. Again, looking for advice on cleaning out the heat exchanger. I am trying to determine whether it's worth the time and effort or if I should just tell them to replace the boiler. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank You

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    turbotax?
    kcopp
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Replace boiler.
    kcopp
  • Steve_210
    Options
    They have opted to try and clean the heat exchanger
    Any advice
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    make sure you dont warranty it in anyway.. tried it twice...both leaked within a week...
    kcoppBob Bona_4MilanD
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    A 1985 system, the best way to clean that heat exchanger is with a Sawzall and a hand truck.
    Bob Bona_4MilanD
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Thanks
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Turbomax sorry