Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what the heck is this?

norfitz
norfitz Member Posts: 55
My customer found this mystery device in a hydronic job. The second pic shows the tag that hangs from it. Anybody recognize it? Sincere thanks for reading this post.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    From the shape of it, it looks to be some kind of venturi. Is it on a heating line?
    Rick
    norfitz
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,097
    Almost certainly a venturi flow meter. Connect pressure gauges -- or, better, a differential manometer -- between the two taps and you can get a remarkably accurate and instantaneous reading of the flow in the pipe. From right to left, in your photo 6
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    norfitzSolid_Fuel_Man
  • norfitz
    Rick in Alaska, yes, it's on a heating line, but the piping seems pointlessly convoluted. It's on a supply line that leads to both a pump and a bypass. The drawing, by my customer, shows the device is where the empty circle is drawn near the top right.
  • norfitz
    Thanks, Jamie. Now we will have to figure out why it's there!
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    It looks like the venturi is in a bridge with a primary secondary loop originating from the bridge. I think??

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
    Venturis have been used for injecting boiler treatment chemicals.
    Terry O
    STEVEusaPA
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    edited April 2017
    It does resemble the foam injectors used on fire hose nozzles.
    Connect a 1/4" hose that is inserted into a bucket of Class B foam, adjust the flow rate and apply to gas/oil fires. FWIW
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,097
    The injectors use the same principle -- the venturi principle -- to get a below atmospheric pressure in the throat, which sucks in whatever. The beauty of the arrangement is that the reduction in pressure is proportional to the square of the flow, and is completely predictable.

Other applications of the same principle perform the seemingly impossible (but quite reliable!) job of using low pressure exhaust steam to inject water into locomotive steam boilers. Fascinating gadgets. For that matter, the jet pump commonly used in smaller residential applications is another variation.

But I'm quite sure that the one in the picture is a flow metering venturi, because of the two required pressure taps (throat and upstream) which are shown.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    edited April 2017
    Looks like a .23 gpm or 23? balance valve, the ports are used to confirm or read the pressure drop across the Venturi.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    This is the brand I used to use although the brand name changed from Barco.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

delta T
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    bob said:

This is the brand I used to use although the brand name changed from Barco.

Excellent info on how sentries works in fluid flow, thanks
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • BerntKruse
    BerntKruse Member Posts: 5
    Probably a venturi flow meter. Brass? However, seems a bit like an OEM.

• Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2017
    Because of the 2 red pressure taps on what looks like a venturi I'ld say its a flow meter. One pressure tap should be at smallest dia section of the venturi. and other tap at a full diameter section.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Another device, that I imagine was never used in home heating boilers, is a high pressure steam injector, used to move ambient temperature water at atmospheric pressure into a working locomotive steam boiler. And it has no moving parts. Here is a description of a few of them. They basically have three nozzles, in series, carefully designed.
    http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/chapt11.Html