Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Escutcheons for steam radiators

As I mentioned in my other thread, I'm doing some radiator moving and painting. I'd like to do something to cover the holes in the floor where the supply pipes come up. I realize the holes need to be wide so the pipes don't rub during expansion and contraction.

Since I don't want to remove the valves, I'll need escutcheons (also called floor and ceiling plates?) that are either split, hinged or snap-together. I want a brass finish to "match" the valves, except the valves have tarnished over time.

I'm also trying to keep costs down as I have 11 radiators to do. One radiator actually has an escutcheon already. These are cheap enough https://www.plumbersstock.com/jones-f08150.html (although I'll need the F08125 for 1-1/4" IPS) but I'm concerned that the cheapness as well as their built in flexibility comes from their plastic construction.

Is the heat from the steam pipe going to melt the plastic?
Steaming along slowly in Wharton, Morris County, NJ.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    The supply house near me carries both the plastic and the metal ones that are hinged and snap/lock together. I chose the metal ones because the plastic ones they had weren't rated for high temp. They only had chrome also but They have been in place for four or five years now and still look fine. I'm sure they come in brass as well. The bigger problem with the plastic ones is that the finish tends to flake off after a few years. There was a couple dollars difference between the plastic and metal ones.
    SteamedInWharton
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Has anyone fabricated any solid or split from wood?
    Could go elaborate for any shape and router formed edges.
    Wood worker handy person.
    Wood to match the wood finish of some restored valve handles that someone here has posted.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Try Lowe's. At least the one near me has quite a variety of the hinged metal ones. Some of them look big enough.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    JUGHNE said:

Has anyone fabricated any solid or split from wood?
    Could go elaborate for any shape and router formed edges.
    Wood worker handy person.
    Wood to match the wood finish of some restored valve handles that someone here has posted.

yes, we manufacture custom wood escutcheons in our shop. It started when Paul started making wood handles for the customers who complained about the cheap plastic knobs. That of course led to customer wood escutcheons to match the handles. We have two wood varieties we use. Walnut and oak.
    Oak is the standard. I really like the walnut but its a kind of 'grey' that i think is beautiful, but its not for everyones taste.

I'm on my lap top now, but when i get to the shop in the morning i will post some pictures. We have one piece and split (held together with magnets). We make these in spare time so its always a custom order.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

JUGHNE
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    The only escutcheons I've found are online and listed for fire sprinklers. They have the springs to hold them onto the pipe, and yet allow room for expansion.

Anything at Lowes or the Depot will fit too tight, or worse, be plastic.

On this, if you have an 1 1/4" pipe, I'd be tempted to go with a 1 1/2" for it, but the 1 1/4 claims it fits.
    https://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html#wsprings
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    "Anything at Lowes or the Depot will fit too tight, or worse, be plastic." Not true. Or not, at least, at the one near me. Good quality metal in a variety of sizes. Your mileage may vary.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ

"Anything at Lowes or the Depot will fit too tight, or worse, be plastic." Not true. Or not, at least, at the one near me. Good quality metal in a variety of sizes. Your mileage may vary.

Well, it's true at the ones near me. I suppose that doesn't mean it's true everywhere, as you said.

They're all for copper pipe and last I checked, and almost all were plastic.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    I think the big boxes vary all over the map on what they carry. And for that matter, from time to time at the same one. Annoying. To put it mildly...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    here is some pictures of our escutcheons.

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

SteamedInWhartonRomanGK_26986764589
  • ChrisJ

here is some pictures of our escutcheons.

Uhoh, don't let @KC_Jones see those.
    He'll want a monthly subscription to pictures.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    LOL @ChrisJ my father and I have already been talking about the wooden handles, but the wooden escutcheons is a new idea. I may have to try this. I have some beautiful Chestnut that would probably work nicely for both. ;)

Only change I would make, especially for a bathroom. Marine Spar Varnish. Used on wood boats a lot and it's tough stuff when used on indoor applications, of course I like shiny so that influences my taste a lot.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    KC_Jones said:

LOL @ChrisJ my father and I have already been talking about the wooden handles, but the wooden escutcheons is a new idea. I may have to try this. I have some beautiful Chestnut that would probably work nicely for both. ;)

Only change I would make, especially for a bathroom. Marine Spar Varnish. Used on wood boats a lot and it's tough stuff when used on indoor applications, of course I like shiny so that influences my taste a lot.

My dad always used Marine Spar Varnish on kitchen cabinets.
    KC_Jones