Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Model 1604 HSD PENNCO- Low water indicator lits up more than it should

Options
Lorna
Lorna Member Posts: 1
Having issues w/ my heater today.
Low water indicator Lits up more than it should even if the water cylinder is filled up to the top w/ water.
So I emptied some of the water in the cylinder up to the water level line as suggested.
Doing that, the Low water indicator stayed on so i turned the knob to manually release water to the broiler- cylinder. So After wards the Low water indicator turned off so i turned on the heater.
After 4 hrs, the water indicator turned on again, and i noticed the water cylinder is full again so i tried to emptied it again up to the suggested level but the water from the cylinder all disappeared. I only took out 1 small bucket. Usually it takes me 3 bucket to empty it.
Now, i tried turn on the water so water will go in the cylinder but no water is coming out from the water source. Now I'm scared to turn the heater. How do i fix this anyone please.
Im a new home owner.
Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    OK. A few technical terms here... the water cylinder. This is the glass tube on the front of the boiler, yes? Technically, it's called the sight glass. The water level indicator is usually called the low water cutoff -- and should keep your boiler from running if it thinks the water is low.

From your description of what is going on it sounds very much as though the connecting pipes from the top and bottom of the sight glass to the boiler are plugged up, and that your water level indicator is attached to those same pipes (which is very common).

The good news is that it's easy for someone to fix. The bad news is that the boiler shouldn't be run until you have it fixed, as the correct water level is essential to your safety. Too high isn't really a big deal, except it can make the system not work. Too low is flat out dangerous.

I recommend that you turn the boiler off with the emergency switch and leave it off until you can get a competent person to come and check it. Where are you located? We may know someone in your area whom we can recommend.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @Lorna everything @Jamie Hall said
    Rich_49