Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How were radiators originally assembled and installed?

Options
engpro
engpro Member Posts: 2
Water and steam radiators are comprised of cast segments held together by nipples and tierods. Question: At the original home installation, were the radiators pre-assembled (outside the house) and then brought into the house, or were they brought in the house as segments, and then assembled at their final location? My guess is the latter, but can anyone confirm from actual experience?
Another related question: what is the best device/method to use for moving existing radiators around in a house during a renovation?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I've found that the best method -- assuming you don't want to damage the floors and they are relatively small, say less than four feet long -- is to disconnect them, tip them on their sides onto a furniture dolly, and just roll them around. Up and down stairs is to be avoided if possible -- their heavy. Keep in mind that the spuds and valves or traps are matched pair unions, so keep track of which radiator goes where.

Radiatiors over four feet or so are much more problematic, as they really aren't that strong and lifting one end (or worse, one leg) can cause strains which can make them leak. It can be done, though, with care, and there I use heavy duty furniture casters under each leg.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canuckerbcoyle
  • engpro
    engpro Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the answer to the second question!
    Anyone have an answer to the first question???
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Maybe check old catalogs.....I believe they were sold assembled.