Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

reusing old CI rad

Options
Bry_2
Bry_2 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in Radiant Heating
I have an old CI rad that has been in the basement unhooked for over 10 years. If I want to add this to my existing hydronic system to heat a small storage room, is there anything I should be doing seeing that it has been exposed to air for so long? I was planning on running a new 1/2" pex al pex line from the manifold and hooking it up to the black pipe via a 1/2" fitting and a 3/4 x 1/2 bushing just off the rad. Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Just check and see that it will hold pressure -- you can use either air or water for that. If it's air, it's a little tricky as the air pressure will change with temperature. Run it up to 30 psi and let it sit. It should hold.

Then if it holds pressure, you could try flushing it out -- run water through it at a good clip -- just to make sure the spiders and what have you have left town.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Some radiators are not connected at the top, and can only be used for steam, so make sure yours has the top connection.--NBC