Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purple Primer

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
Don't be this guy!

Hint, you need to "unload" all that purple stuff off of the dauber before you apply to pipe.

Hint two: hold the PVC up in the air so any excess primer doesn't go steaming down the pipe.

Hint three: until you're a purple pro, when you get a new can of purple find a proper place to dispose of half your new can. Now you can more easily whip off the excess primer off your dauber.

Peace
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com
ChrisJGrallert

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I used painters tape when I did my sump pump pipe. Nice clean line. :)

I won't bring up the new can of "clear primer" I have sitting by my desk right now though. Also, for inspectors, they make unpurple primer that glows purple when exposed to a UV light.

I mean, neatness still counts of course.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ericmmff
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I wonder what the floor looked like??

I should talk, I'm generally good for kicking the can over once in a while
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    My experience with purple primer is that it does not clean or soften the pipe. I applied it and then the clear cleaner/primer and then the solvent/glue.
    A little purple added to the glue gives a nice purple ring at the fitting. I use the clear cleaner/primer and then the glue.
    Finally ran out of the purple "primer" so no indicator anymore.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I like seeing purple myself. I think even though the "approved" clear is approved, some old timer plumbing inspectors might start looking for things to pick it if they don't see purple. Just an opinion. Go purple!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    I recently found out there are more PVC primers and cements available than I ever imagined.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/PVC-Primer-1419000

You've got your purple, your un-purple, your clear,.

For cements, different speeds, different bodies etc.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Plastic-Pipe-Cements-12173000

I think I went with clear primer, and regular build medium set cement.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    AFAIK the purple is required around here, so the inspectors can tell "it's been done right".

Ohhhh kayyyy...

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    I think it was Homer Simpson who said, "mmmm, purple. "
    Some township codes by me spec purple.
  • Yeah, that purple primer works well; too well and if you look away for a second or tip your wrist the wrong direction, it's all over everything. If it gets all over the PVC pipe, your reputation is ruined. No more "Master Plumber".
    The trick is to use the clear primer and to do your work without a permit. : )
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I have been through Spears manufacturing training for glueing PVC joints. The primary difference between the "primer" and the "glue" is the glue has filler (pvc) and the primer does not. As they said the primer is really just the glue with no "body". The fillers in the glue are there because the socket is actually a tapered fit and has an interference at the bottom and a clearance at the top. They really emphasized the primer was a critical component in the process. There was much more to the training but that was the basics on the glue/primer.

One final point they made, without primer all warranties are void as they view that as improper installation. Some may not care about that, but the volume of PVC we use this is an important note.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    The purple is required by code in my area also.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Purple primer, pipe dope, and anti seiz are the worst for me.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    A few years back here in NH they tried to keep the purple primer clause in the plumbing code for the state.
    They got such a back lash from so many licensed guys that they had that sentence removed....
    We don't need to worry about that on heating vents as PVC is not allowed here any more.
  • ChrisJ
    Guys,

Did you miss the un-purple primer that shows up with a UV light? This should pass code as well, just make sure you have a portable UV light for the inspector and the product to show him what it says.

I don't care who you are, or how careful you are accidents happen, especially when you're trying to get the job done.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    AFAIK the purple is required around here, so the inspectors can tell "it's been done right".

When my ex heating contractor was installing the PVC pipe to and from my W-M Ultra-3, they put purple primer on all the joints. This showed the inspectors that it was done right. Ha! They forgot to use the glue on some of the joints. Primer alone does not do the job at all.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615

When my ex heating contractor was installing the PVC pipe to and from my W-M Ultra-3, they put purple primer on all the joints. This showed the inspectors that it was done right. Ha! They forgot to use the glue on some of the joints. Primer alone does not do the job at all.
    Hence the "quotes". If it's important that it's done right, they should have to check for glue, not purple primer. That only proves that it's been primed...