Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water loss

Options
sasacook
sasacook Member Posts: 9
I have a one pipe steam system. Burner was replaced about 6-7 yrs ago. No problems until recently. I have add water to the system daily for the past few weeks. The LWCO keeps firing due to the low water levels as it burns off the water overnight. I've already replaced all the radiator air vents, which may have helped a little but certainly hasn't corrected the problem. I see no water around any off the radiators, the boiler, or along any of the returns. Is it possible that the boiler has an internal leak and the water is evaporating before it's able to collect on the ground? Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Look at your chimney when the boiler is firing. If you see just a wispy sort of cloud, that's OK. If you see a billowing steam cloud, that's not OK. My bet is that you are going to see the latter, and you have an internal leak at or just above the water line into the firebox.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    sasacook
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    The definitive test for this is to overfill the boiler to the mains, when cooled off somewhat, and watch for leaks in the firebox area, for a few hours.
    If the boiler must be replaced, then you must add up the EDR of the radiators, in order to select the proper size of the replacement.
    Post some pictures of the boiler piping for more advice.--NBC
    sasacook
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Are there any returns that go under the cellar floor or in places you can't see?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    sasacook
  • sasacook
    Options
    @Jamie Hall
    I have a power vented unit, doubt that matters but I checked the vent several times...no clouds of billowing white steam. In fact, could barely see any moisture, but I'll check again as it gets dark out, maybe it'll be easier to see?...
  • sasacook
    Options
    @nicholas bonham-carter
    Here is a pic of the boiler and near piping. Not sure if this what you were looking for?
    I'll try the overfill and check for leaks and get back to you...
  • sasacook
    Options
    @BobC
    I have risers in the walls that aren't fully visible but I wouldn't figure those to be a problem. All the basement returns are visible. No obvious water under them.
  • sasacook
    Options
    @nicholas bonham-carter
    Near boiler pipes
  • sasacook
    Options
    @nicholas bonham-carter
    So I "overfilled" the boiler and sure enough...water dripping out the bottom! There's no repair for that, is there? The whole unit needs to be replaced?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If you can take a cover off of the boiler, take a look at where the leak is. If you are lucky, it may be at /in the riser pipe out of the boiler. If it is in the block, a boiler replacement is probably the only solution and you need to have the water quality tested so the next boiler doesn't meet the same fate. How old is this boiler?
    sasacook
  • sasacook
    Options
    10 years old. I know our town has historically very hard water. About 4 yrs ago I had a water softener installed in the house
  • sasacook
    Options
    @Fred
    What should I be looking for, or not looking for in our water?
  • Fred
    Options
    sasacook said:

@Fred

What should I be looking for, or not looking for in our water?

The chloride level has been a noted issue with Burnham boilers for years. It is a problem with all cast iron boilers but Burnham seems to be especially sensitive. I believe Burnham even published a Tech Bulletin on the issue a few years ago. When/if you have the water tested, make note of a high cloride level, well above Burnham's recommendations.
    Also, do you store water softener salts or other chemicals near the boiler? They can affect the rate of corrosion as well. What model boiler is that Burnham? They also had serious issues with the quality of the castings on the V7 series boiler.
  • sasacook
    Options
    @Fred
    Here's the plate on my boiler...
    I'll look into the chloride, thanks
    No salt tablets near the boiler
  • Fred
    Options
    Have the water tested, look for high chlorides. Post any results that are noted as outside normal levels. Someone can tell you how to adjust for those variances.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Also excessively soft water is not kind to boilers. It is surprisingly corrosive...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England