Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant systems

Options
superdave
superdave Member Posts: 155
Hi All,
Just looked at a job and the home owner wants to use Warm board-R and I haven't used it before. I have always used Create heat or quick tracks. Out there what do you guys think is the best product to use?? This house is about 1,800' in basement with no slab yet. I was thinking of using Create heat R10 with 1/2" Uponor Pex. with a slab over it. The home owner wants to put a slab in and then use warm board over that and didn't know if any one has used it before and what are your thought.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Why would you want to use warm board R for a basement slab that does not exist?
  • superdave
    Options
    Sorry if I didn't say it right. This job has gone down about 4' in basement to make it livable. So no slab yet and I wanted to use Create heat R10 with 1/2" pex. and owner is pushing on new slab and then on top of it use Warm board. He is being told that this is a better heating system. Any thought are they right or just selling a bag of goods??
  • Gordy
    Options
    In my opinion no. You still should insulate the slab even if putting warm board on top. So why spend extra for warmboard when the next step after insulating slab is install tubing.....

To me the owner is coughing up extra dollars for warmboard R. That cost would be in addition to the insulation, and tubing .

Plus worrying about moisture under the warmboard R after installation.

I just do not see any benefit for the cost. Now if the slab was already in place, and radiant was wanted okay.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    If they have the dough, why not. You'll get some mass yet faster response time and more control with the WBR. There's going to be a thermal break of course?
  • Gordy
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If they are insistent on an over the top assembly I would recommend Roth panels before warmboard R. The insulation is already built in the panel, and you can choose different tube size, and centers.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    Good option.
  • superdave
    Options
    I just called supply house and they can not sell it needs to be a home owner buy product only. Also if I am looking at right product there is no insulation with it. It look like up side down quick tracks. 3/4" Plywood and then aluminum on top with grove. Has anyone installed it before??
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    I just finished laying tube in a job with both WB S and R. Three floors. Done it in past. The R is 3/4 OSB with the aluminum skin, yes. Gordy's Roth idea is a good one too. Guess whatever is available in your area.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    There will be no difference in performance. The heat loss of a basement is low, water temp requirements will be low and all you would be adding more dollars to get a radiant system.

Now if they are looking to add a wood floor and looking for a nailing surface, that could be the only reason I can think of, 1/2" ply is all that is needed.

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Gordy
    Options
    If do agree with Bob, the system would be a little quicker to respond. However I see no other upside, and with proper control the concrete slab would be just as good for less dollars
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    If you're heating a slab, adding the tubing completes the heat emitter, plus the R10 insulation and visqueen under it. Warm Board is fine and so is QuickTrak or Climate Panel. 2 temperatures will be required for the system to work properly.
  • superdave
    Options
    OK thank for all your input. I just watched a video on it and they claim it can out preform all other radiant heating it only takes 20 Min. to get 10BTU per foot and all others take over 1hour.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What's the hurry?
    If the owner is just looking for some help spending their money, I guess they could use warm board. It would react quicker than tubing in slab. I am not sure why you would do it that way.

I think you are going the right direction with the Crete -Heat product. I don't like that it puts the insulation on the bottom of the slab. In a perfect world,
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options
    Independent study.
  • superdave
    Options
    Thanks Gordy paper work. That help my case.