Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sanity check for a radiant heat project

Options
devnull
devnull Member Posts: 7
Howdy all;

The picture is of my current system, which has a capacity for five zones but is only using two. This is on the lower level of the house. On the other side of that wall, on the upper level, is a one car garage that I would like to turn into another room. To make things simpler the floor needs to be raised about 18 inches.

I'm thinking that I should not have any problems putting joists, insulating, sub flooring, radiant flooring, and then a radiant heat-friendly floating flooring on top. I'm hoping that once the radiant flooring hoses are installed that I should be able to just plug them into the system, connect a thermostat to the control box, and call it a day? (to grossly oversimplify things). The rest of the house has base boards. I'm in Alaska but the insulation is top notch with big south facing windows that capture the sun pretty good.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    So you are doing a sleeper radiant detail over the top of sub floor?

You will need a mixing valve for the radiant. This is because the rest of the house uses base board emitters, ant that is a high temp emitter. Radiant is a low temp emitter.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A mixing valve AND another circulator.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options
    Yes,yes another circ missed that one Bob....
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Since you need high temperature to the baseboard, consider this system.
    http://www.ultra-fin.com

I have installed several, even with ODR outdoor reset control and they perform well. Add another zone valve to the boiler header and pipe away.

Plenty of room for a good insulation detail with that 18" raise.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    CanuckerMark Eatherton
  • Gordy
    Options
    I see a mod/con in the back ground. Make model? Is the outdoor reset installed, and set up? Do your high temp emitters actually need high temps?
    Hilly