Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Leak

DAXQ_2
DAXQ_2 Member Posts: 52
Hello All! This is a two part-er - Had a plumber replace my pressure gauge - he put in a 30 PSI gauge and after about a week and a half, the little face fell off it - and it never did register very much more than bounce the needle. So I got onto Amazon and replaced it with this:

Just want to make sure that will suffice - so far it is working very well and I almost never see higher pressure than about 2 PSI. That is question one.

While checking things - I noticed this:

That is a little puff of steam coming out of that joint. It pours out of there pretty steadily when the boiler is at high heat. My second question is, is this something I can just take apart and replace that gasket? or is there more to it than that? I get that until it is taken apart who knows - might start falling apart as I undo it - amounting to a whole world of hurt for myself and possibly my pocketbook. I am not afraid of a wrench or a hammer, but certainly am not a plumber of steam guy! Should I call the plumbers (certainly not the one that replaced my first gauge) or just get the wrench out?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Flanged joints like that can usually be taken apart -- and it looks like yours has bolts which aren't too badly rusted, for once -- and a new gasket slipped in and then put back together. Not really a big deal.

However... make sure, if you tackle it, that you have something for a new gasket. Also, make sure that the pipes on both sides are well supported. It is quite possible that that joint is holding up (or down!) one of the pipes.

You shouldn't need a hammer, but you will certainly need two hex wrenches which fit the nuts and the bolts. Don't use a pipe wrench!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    For sure the support is needed when you take it apart. Also you need some "spring" in the piping to separate the flange sections to remove the old gasket and hopefully scrap the flange surfaces.
    Those blots seem recent compared to the piping. But the gasket could be original.........this might be a warm weather adventure.
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 166
    To answer question #1, that gauge will give you a better idea of how the system is running. However in most areas code requires a 30 PSI gauge, can be on the same pigtail just need a tee.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2017
    Actually, if you have a plumbing supply near you or you can order on-line from someplace like Supplyhouse.Com, you can order a replacement gasket rated for steam and made for those flange joints. The ones for steam are typically a spun fiberglass and they don't have holes in them for the bolts. You may have to call them once you know the pipe diameter. You clean the surfaces of the flange, put the bottom two bolts in (but don't tighten them then slide the new gasket in between the flanges. The bottom bolts actually align the gasket to the pipe opening. Also, buy steam flange bolts. They are hardened so as not to stretch when the pipes heat and expand. Buy ones that are the right length/diameter for the flange. Some of those, in your picture look like flange bolts, the top one, if it is a flange bolt, it looks like a smaller diameter and may be part of why the flange is leaking. In any case, that gasket looks like it was home made ad may even be with a material that is not rated for steam temps. The actual replacement gaskets are typically a spun fiberglass.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Fred, any ideas on how to clean the flange faces? Often there is not enough play to get the faces apart for scraping the surface.

Just a sudden brainstorm.......with the all the bolts out except the bottom two, how about a hacksaw blade to cut the old material off? Or the piano wire type PVC pipe cutter? WAG
    Or of course a long flat file.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @JUGHNE , I have scraped any chunks off with a long putty knife and then wrapped a 1" piece of flat iron/metal (or the putty knife) with emery cloth and gone around the surfaces of the flange. Seems to work pretty well. I usually coat both sides of the gasket with a little high temp RTV before dropping it in. Makes getting it in a little more of a challenge because you need to stay clear of both surfaces when you drop the flange but it adds a little extra assurance.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    That I believe is not a standard companion flange but is I believe a 'FLANGED UNION" You can look it up with Ward or Anvil fittings' web site and measure the diameter. Flange unions and companion flanges are different outside diameters

The reason the insulation is gone is that it leaked before and someone tried to fix it, hence the new bolts.

I would wait until summer. The problem is trying to clean the old gasket off. Take two bolts off and out on the bottom and leave the upper bolts in place. Replace the bottom bolts with longer bolts or threaded rod. The remove all the bolts except the two new bottom bolts. Loosen the bottom bolts but don't remove

Get or make some hardwood wedges and drive them in with a hammer spread the flanges apart. Now you can clean the flanges. I find a sharp wood chisel works best.

Check the flanges with a flashlight. If they are really badly pitted (and could be if it's been leaking a while) they may need replacement

JUGHNE
  • DAXQ_2
    DAXQ_2 Member Posts: 52
    Outstanding! Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendation! I will start looking for Steam bolts and a Steam gasket so this summer I can tear it apart!

Thanks!