Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

small cut on radiator threads when removing spud

Options
relleums
relleums Member Posts: 2
I was replacing the valve on a steam radiator. I cut the old spud out of the radiator as it was rusted in place in the radiator. I tried to be careful not to cut the threads of the radiator when I was cutting the spud, but unfortunately I put a small cut in the threads of the radiator.

My question is... do I need to replace/repair the radiator or is this something that should still work as long as I put some teflon tape and pipe dope on the threading of the radiator and/or the replacement spud.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It really depends on how deep the cut is. I'd try about 8 wraps of tape + Teflon dope and see if it holds. Blue Monster is my choice for tape.
    Don't attempt to tape the female threads.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with Ironman. I suspect a few wraps of tape and maybe a dab of dope and it will be fine. If for some reason it leaks, many, if not most radiators have a bushing on that end of the radiator that could be replaced if necessary albeit a lot more work.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Another option is a 575 or 272 Loctite.

These are used on most hydronic and valve assemblies at the factories. Ball valves for example are glued together at the threaded assembly.

Basically a hydronic "superglue"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    You should be dealing with less than 2 PSI, so put that into the equation.
  • relleums
    relleums Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support.

The cut isn't too deep. It is easy enough to put the pieces together - I'll try it with some tape and pipe dope and see how it all works.

I assume that if I put something (piece of paper) under the valve/radiator joint I should know pretty quickly (a day or two) whether it is going to leak, right? As mentioned, it is low pressure. Is it safe to assume that if it doesn't leak for a few days that it shouldn't change much over a few years?

The radiator is in the rental apartment in my 2-flat. It is above the apartment that I live in. The apt is empty now, so I have easy access to go in and check that everything is good, but it will be occupied shortly and I'd rather not have to try and replace it when someone lives there.

Thanks again!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It's not going to leak. If it doesn't leak on one or two good heating cycles, it will last forever.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Clean male and female threads with a wire brush, a few wraps of Blue Monster teflon tape and then, old fashioned Rectorseal No 5, on the male threads, and a LITTLE on the female threads, that will never leak.
    Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Unless it was black steel extension, spuds should be brass. Brass is softer than cast iron. I always recommend some kroil or pb blaster, and then go to town and egg the spud out. Next time, try that. I've removed spuds and even black iron that was 100 years old with kroil and a little patience and a large pipe wrench...
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    MilanD, the spuds I've tried to get out were so short I couldn't get a big wrench on them, and I've never had luck getting them out with a spud wrench, do you use a spud wrench, or do you have enough room to get the wrench right on the spud?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    15 seconds max trying a wrench on the old spud. If that doesn't work, out comes the sawzall, cold chisel and hammer. Can usually get it out that way in under a minute, instead of trying to fight it with a wrench.
    Canucker
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    What @Abracadabra said. Wouldn't waste my time with a spud wrench
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I can't recall ever getting a spud out with a spud wrench... but I still try... Once. Then it's to the saws all. New spud going in I use the spud wrench. If I happen to cut the cast threads on the radiator it's blue monster tape and I've liked Perma Tex it a dope. even when I'm converting a steam rad for use on a water system.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    Canucker
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    when we do that, we use permatex gasket sealer.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Grallert