Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Fox paw

Options
13»

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,642
    Options
    Guaranteed to trip in 100 amps—or more!

That unit was so old that I couldn't find a date on it anywhere. The Dayton Electric blower motor had a date code of L893, but I'm thinking the unit dates to around the 60's or 70's.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    I have seen that before. It is possible that with the correct size fuses or breaker back at the source of supply that fuses were not needed in the disconnect....maybe they just needed an un fused switch as a disconnect but didn't have one so they made one.

Either way, the tubing is illegal as it's not a "listed" electrical component. Should have just put fuses in it.

@JUGHNE, I was told a penny fits into a plug fuse holder, never tried it myself.
    Also, that thing looks pretty old, no green or bare equipment ground and maybe before non metallic bushings were required but sure as hell should have a bushing even if it was metal.

Reminds me of my old boss. He lived down the street from a turkey farm. A few days before Thanksgiving (this was 40 years ago) the turkey farm woke him up at midnight as they were staying up all night killing turkeys etc. They blew the main fuses having all there equipment on at once.

He took some copper tubing from his garage and did the same thing as above.

Got them through the night until the supply house opened. I wouldn't do it, chicken I guess (or a Turkey in this case)
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Ok everyone, it's a sleepy Sunday afternoon. Now go turn off all your breakers and turn them back on again! Exercise those bad boys! I turn off each individual breaker, then the main. Turn the main back on and then each individual breaker.

FWIW, whenever I'm working on a dead panel I exercise all the individual breakers. Once a awhile I'll find a bad one which won't reset or won't trip.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Another item that needs exercise are water valves and stops.
    Many under lav/sink stops will seldom turn without a pliers.
    If the home owner needs to shut these in a panic and they won't turn they add to the problem with a pipe wrench or sometimes twist the entire stop off the copper.
    I will exercise every stop, valve and gas stop/bib when the opportunity presents itself. This may prevent the 10 PM panic service call from HO.
    If I have to turn the curb stop off, it too will get exercised several times.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Ericmfabc
    Ericmfabc Member Posts: 2
    Options
    What's really scary is a house with knob and tube wiring is most likely haunted. How come ghosts never help you hang a pipe or run out to the van.
    How would you pay one anyways?
    CLamb
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Ericmfabc said:

What's really scary is a house with knob and tube wiring is most likely haunted. How come ghosts never help you hang a pipe or run out to the van.

How would you pay one anyways?

LOL, Why help? They should just take care of the maintenance issues for you!
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The dead men only haunt houses were people are doing terrible work and spitting on their legacy. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    I like it when they hang metal coat hangers on the k & T wiring. Could be the first clothes dryer
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options

I like it when they hang metal coat hangers on the k & T wiring. Could be the first clothes dryer

I don't care if they're even plastic, someone needs a backhand if they're doing that.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Or the source of the first electric clothes dryer fire. >:)