Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler(oil)

Options
bone38
bone38 Member Posts: 1
Have a utica boiler(OIL) about 2-3years old .Water is extremely hot and very concerned with young children in the house. Should a temp valve been installed during installation? There is currently no way to adjust water temp.
Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,321
    Options
    I take it this is the domestic hot water? And is this a hot water heat system?

How does the domestic hot water get heated? Is it a separate loop (I hope) to a storage tank?

I ask these questions because if it is a separate loop with it's own controls heating a storage tank, there should be a thermostat -- called an aquastat -- for that storage tank which controls the temperature in the tank. That may have failed, or it may be set incorrectly.

In any event, the system which I would prefer would be that the domestic hot water supply come through a mixing valve, which should be adjusted so that the temperature of the hot water supplied to the house is not over 120 F -- and could be less, if preferred.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    If it's a tankless coil it should have been installed with a mixing valve. Need pictures