Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tips on Steam Heating Systems

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited March 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Tips on Steam Heating Systems

Dan Foley shares expert tips from his work with steam heating systems.

Read the full story here

HVACNUT

Comments

• kkrrjr
    kkrrjr Member Posts: 12
    Options
    You must need to be named 'Dan' to do this stuff.
    Early in my career I tried a 'master trap'. Damn thing was the size of an truck battery but didn't solve the problem. Turned out the kitchen equipment folks had installed a dishwasher booster steam line from thje top of the main without a check valve - when steam boilers go to off cycle they can draw a vaccum. Sucked the rinse water right into the boiler. You can imagine the result. Saw a piece of lettuce in the sight glass. Fixed cleaned boiler - all well.
    Also, one way we used to slove the smaller boiler / water return problem was to install an oversized condensate pump reciever to give the pump water to use while giving the condensate time to get back without the feeder adding water. Sometime just a piece of very large pipe can be made into a 'tank' and insulated. Not high tech but it works.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Cleaning is the most often over looked part of a new install. There really is no short cut, but there are some ways to cut down the length of time is takes, as Dan describes above. The system will just not work well until this is done. I average 3 return trips to clean and skim my new installs. Seems like it just takes time for all the oils to work their way out.
    I learn something new on every steam job I work on. Makes it very interesting. Dan Holohan has done the best job anyone could on preserving steam technology and passing it one to the new generations. My business and reputation is based on these things he has taught me. His influence goes further than he will ever know.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Erin Holohan HaskellratioJim_R