Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

supplyhouse.com

ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,747
I clicked "Submit" about 5:30 - 5:45 last night. UPS had the box & 2 rolls of PEX on my porch before noon today. How is that even possible?!?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2017
    They have opened so many distribution centers around the country over the past two or three years, it's amazing. I order from them and they always deliver the next morning. They have a distribution center 60 miles from my home now. I also suspect they ship direct from another distributor if it is closer or if inventory is an issue. I just hope they can sustain that model. Great service It certainly gives them a competitive advantage.
    LionA29
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Ratio, where are you located?
    I haven't ordered for quite a while, it usually took a week to ship to north central NE. It was always amusing to monitor the tracking route. The shipment would change trucks maybe 6 times. Even cutting 2 days out of the trip would be great.
    We are used to the time required to get anything from either coast. Always add 1 day to get from I-80 up to us.
  • ratio
    Central Ohio. I'm pretty sure they've got a distribution center around here, but still...

That's fast!

JUGHNE
  • Fred
    ratio said:

Central Ohio. I'm pretty sure they've got a distribution center around here, but still...

That's fast!

Ha! I'm in Dayton. They have a Distribution Center in Columbus now.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    edited March 2017
    McMaster has same day delivery for our area.

This is why online stores are becoming more and more popular. Because you can have what you need or want, EXACTLY what you need or want, not a substitute, NOW. Not in a few days, not in a few weeks and you don't have to take time out of your life to do it.

I buy 99% of my stuff online and have bought most of my central air material online.

Though, I did technically buy my air handler and condensing unit locally. Technically. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    I'll have to look into McM. I've ordered from them in the past, but it wasn't an 18H delivery—IIRC it took nearly two days to get to me. HA!
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 93
    I like Supply House. They have good prices, delivery and don't care I am a DIY customer.
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2017
    I've had Amazon Prime for years and they kind of raise your expectations as well, you end up expecting everything in 1-2 days.

Amazon however, isn't up to par with McMaster or Supplyhouse in my opinion. Amazon's website is too, I don't know, broad?

I recently dealt with an HVAC distributor who I could not believe how bad their online service was. The website was decent, but it took over a week to ship and I had no idea what was actually going on. Never got notified of things being substituted or when it actually shipped. It honestly felt like I was back in the late 1990s early 2000s.

They substituted half of my stuff without asking and even downgraded a lot of it and just shipped it. They swapped 28 gauge round pipe in when I had ordered and paid for 26 gauge and shipped it, 300 pounds worth.

Supplyhouse would never do such a thing. They would call and say what I ordered could no longer be purchased, what do I want to do etc.

Sorry for the rant, it's kind of off topic and yet kind of on topic. Not all online stores are equal and none of them live up to Supplyhouse and McMaster. Actually Grainger is pretty decent, you know what you're getting, but their website is harder to navigate in my opinion.

I've had good luck with Zoro Tools as well, which I think is owned by Grainger.

Recently I've been buying more off of Ebay as well, but we all know how that can go. It's a gamble to an extent but I generally find buy it now stuff from people with a ton of good reviews is safe and it's often at my house within a few days.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    Wow. Shipping something other than what you ordered is what, bait & switch? & shipped, does that get the Feds involved, or Is that only the USPS, if it doesn't cross state lines. They'd better have someone out to take care of that pretty quick. I don't think the state Attorney General would think too kindly about that.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    We use McMaster Carr for a ton. Grainger tries to get my business all the time and they used to call on us.

But then I'd log into grainger to get my "special" price and Zoro was cheaper. And it would take 2 days to get anything. You have the same owners you nimrods!

McMasters website should be lesson no 1 for all web designers. I can rip through that site in minutes buying certain lengths of 316 stainless bar stock, 8mm flange nuts, a tube of 3M 5200, loctite and some bearings (don't ask...) in under 2 minutes and it's at my loading dock by 9am.

We do use local suppliers for most raw materials though.

I've used supplyhouse for Barnes and Jones. Full disclosure we sell to them as well. But I just ordered a bunch of sweat fittings from them for my house and they were excellent to deal with. I've been to their headquarters and it looks like a blast to work there. Everyone was all smiles just like their website.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Koan
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    I used McMaster for decades when doing projects, it was one of the most used catalogs in my office.

Sitting on top of the subwoofer is a stack of books and one of them is a McMaster-Carr catalog. Ordering from is just to easy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    I've been using that catalog for almost 50 years now and I can tell you it's a different experience than using the web version. The information is there on the web but it's more coherent on the page because your more aware of what else is available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMaster-Carr

The Grainger catalog is similar but they don't have the breadth that McMaster does.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    I don't think Mcmaster even has a catalog anymore do they?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    They still have a physical catalog but you have to be a BIG TIME buyer/player in order to pry one away from them. I tried but didn't meet their criteria.
    Steve Minnich
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2017
    Yeah,
    I'll stick with the website that fits in my pocket.

I have a feeling everyone that complains about online buying on here, would never complain about McMaster.

What you order, is what you get and it's always to do your door when promised. It's also always top shelf quality.
    Gordo
  • Tinman
    I've never been disappointed with them. I mostly buy material handling items from them.
    Steve Minnich
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I have a couple McM-C catalogues around. Man oh man if I couldn't get to my firearm, that catalog would clobber someone pretty good!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Tinman
    I used to be able to get them easily but this year I had to apply to get one. I understand. I don't spend much there relative to what I do at my supply houses.
    Steve Minnich
  • ratio
    Oh, supplyhouse.com. It's been nearly 23 hours since I clicked "submit", where oh where is my stuff at?
  • ratio
    Ah, delivery took a positively glacial 27 hours this time. We're though, supplyhouse.com. Through, I tell you. Until I need something else & don't want to wait for it!
    kcoppHatterasguy
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,795
    Did they deliver via Tooth Fairy or traditional commercial shipping like UPS? If they shipped the stuff when they said they would it's outside their hands at that point
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Fred
    Come on @ratio , one business day is still pretty good. They spoiled you with that one 10 minute delivery! >:)
    ratio
  • ratio
    UPS. Since they've got a distribution center local (I assume), stuff in that center is "order by 6 PM, get it tomorrow". I wasn't complaining above, I was trying to make a funny. :/
  • ratio
    Yup, spoilt. So spoilt, I'm gonna have to order the B vent adapter I forgot. Looks like I'll have to wait TWO HOLE DAYZ for it. Oh, the humanity. (<- another funny)
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,795
    Ahhhhh I missed your gesture. I bought some stuff theee, some of it was one day late, they gave me a substantial discount on the "late" items
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    I think many of us have tried some humor here over the years :)

It's tough to "read" that online unless you have met the person and had a chance to experience their personalities. Or maybe chatted on a phone call. From what I have seen, anyways.

The wethead gatherings were a great event for getting to really know a HH online buddy.

Frank from Philly, a past poster, came as close as anyone being clever, funny and understood as such in this forum. Maybe a bit too edgy at times?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,583
    Lots of humor here. I'm confused by the "Be dead serious or you're toast" comment. Please explain.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ
    Please.

There was plenty of humor when Fred admitted to chewing on road tar as a kid.
  • DanHolohan
    > @Hatterasguy said:
    > Classic example.
    What do you mean? Got a problem with me? Erin? Please explain.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ratio
    Sorry, everyone.
    Hatterasguy
  • DanHolohan
    You gave me that idea. We've been through this before.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    that's why using the right emoji with a sarcastic comment is key.
    no emoji = serious... emoji = humor ;)
  • Tinman
    edited March 2017
    "Frank from Philly" - I really miss that guy. He stayed at my house when Dan came into town to do the JDRF fundraiser seminar for my daughter many years ago. We kept in touch for awhile. Great guy.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    I'm mistaken. Again? We've been through this before, sir. If you're unhappy, there are other sites.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Fred
    edited March 2017
    ChrisJ said:

Please.

There was plenty of humor when Fred admitted to chewing on road tar as a kid.

@Chris, that was not humor! That was a reflection on a childhood delicacy that was only in season for a very short time in the Spring..
    Canucker
  • Fred

that's why using the right emoji with a sarcastic comment is key.
    no emoji = serious... emoji = humor ;)

@Abracadabra , I fail to see the humor in that. >:)
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 93
    Is this thread officially hijacked now?
  • ChrisJ
    Condoman said:

Is this thread officially hijacked now?

No?

What are your experiences with Supplyhouse.com?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    I have only used them once. I had an older Wirsbo manifold. I needed to change the return side out so I could install actuators, and they were the only ones who had one left. Unfortunately, when I went to order it, it was going to be about $56 for freight. I called them up and asked why they would not send it flat rate priority mail, for about $15, and they actually responded back. Almost no one will answer back why they won't use the cheaper rate. I got a very nice e-mail back explaining that they were only set up to use UPS, and if they had one package that had to be sent different, it screwed up their work flow. I told them to just use Flat rate instead, but that didn't fly.
    Anyway, they did do some kind of in house magic and was able to send me my order for about $25. Do-able anyway.
    Overall, I would say good customer service. At least they communicated with me, which is hard to get done any more.
    Rick