Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 Steam boilers

Options
Hello. First timer here looking for some advise. I'm the Boiler tech for the city I live in. I have a building with 2 old mills 450's 10 section, steam. Off the top of the boilers there is piping that connects the two. I guessing it is an equalizer and helps with boiler flooding. My question is if one of the boilers is replaced, should the new boiler be piped the same way or could that piping be eliminated? Thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Pictures needed. Are you sure it's not a shared header? Also, have you calculated all the connected EDR? It may well be that a single boiler will suffice. If not, the second boiler may well need to be down-sized. Many older systems (and even newer ones) are well over sized because someone just replaced what was there.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get one of these. There are lots of other good books there too, but start with this.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    The 450 Mills has it's own cast iron header which is nippled to each individual half section. We used to call them "pork chop boiler" due to the shape of each half section.

Steam should come off each boilers cast iron header and tie into a common steel pipe header from which steam to the system is fed.

I believe that at one time they used to run a 4" ? equalizer between the boilers (with a gate valve between boilers) to equalize the pressure if both boilers were in operation. If they are piped into a properly sized common header you can do away with the equalizer piping. I always wondered myself why Smith did this but it was abandoned on newer installations.

If you replace one or both boilers you can do away with the equalizer. Just follow the recommendations for piping the new boiler(s) into the common header