Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sealing up big fittings....

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
5" & 6". I have a few drips.

What's the best way to prep tape and dope the big fittings??
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I use monster tape and megalock, in that order. If you want to go further, use monster tape, wick, and megalock, in that order. If you want to go even further, substitute megalock with blue block.
    Timco
  • Timco

I use monster tape and megalock, in that order. If you want to go further, use monster tape, wick, and megalock, in that order. If you want to go even further, substitute megalock with blue block.

Mega lock? Never heard of it. Is it a dope? Wick? Never heard of that either, lol.
    347 Member Posts: 143
    Timco, I once worked with an "old timer". When he had leak's on large steam fittings, he used to caulk them in place with newspaper and a fine screwdriver. I works everytime, I have also done it once or twice over the years. Good luck.
    Timco
  • Timco
    Well as far as Wick goes, I'm about to go John Wick on these threads.....
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Lamp wick and permabond is what I use on 5" & up.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    TinmanRich_49
  • Timco
    I have a bundle of hemp strands I'm tempted to use. I'll check one more place for wick. Found blue block.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Dope the inside with Rectorseal TRUE BLUE. Put Teflon tape and a little TRUE BLUE on the pipe

Read the can of dope, Some brands including true blue tells you to dope the inside of anything larger than 1 1/4".

I don't always do it but 2 1/2 & up I do. Don't like takin the big stuff back apart.

& I stay away from bushings their leakers (if I can)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Occasionally I read the can labels, some say to stir the contents first. There was at least one case where it made a difference. FWIW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE suppose the MFG. can't control how long it sits on the shelf.

True Blue is my go to dope. Very seldom have an leaks with it, but everyone has their favorite.

My only complaint, It is HELL to get off your hands!!
  • Timco

@JUGHNE suppose the MFG. can't control how long it sits on the shelf.

True Blue is my go to dope. Very seldom have an leaks with it, but everyone has their favorite.

My only complaint, It is HELL to get off your hands!!

Blue block

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    For what it's worth, the guys I saw work on our boiler use regular white teflon tape 6-7 turns, then teflon dope, then a couple of more turns of white tape on top of the dope. No leaks.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Extra heavy duty latex gloves when working with trueblue unless you can deal with the mess it leaves behind.
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    @Timco....off topic, but a safety side note from your picture. Everyone should remove rings (and frankly watches) when on the job. I lost my ring finger in 1988...coming down off of an extension ladder when it caught on the lower part of the extension on the "I" shape cross-section. 1 month off work.

Have trouble getting change out of my pocket with my left hand (left pocket was always change, right pocket keys). Typing speed down by 10%. Great conversation piece at parties, but I don't recommend it.

Electrician came up to me after a job site meeting...raised his hand and called me "brother". He lost his by sliding his hand along a wall above a metal door frame, ring caught on the corner of the frame as he stepped off the bottom rung of the step ladder. Boom.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    5" & 6" is too big for me. So I would first try to seal without disassembly. Anyone here have success with whatever goop?
    Hardware stores sell wet patch in caulking tubes.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Timco , hahaha looks like my hands yesterday!!!!!!!!

I always try using gloves but seldom can find any that fit and they become to difficult to put on and off so I end up not using them.
    Timco
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2017
    > @PinkTavo said:
    > @Timco....off topic, but a safety side note from your picture. Everyone should remove rings (and frankly watches) when on the job. I lost my ring finger in 1988...coming down off of an extension ladder when it caught on the lower part of the extension on the "I" shape cross-section. 1 month off work.
    >
    > Have trouble getting change out of my pocket with my left hand (left pocket was always change, right pocket keys). Typing speed down by 10%. Great conversation piece at parties, but I don't recommend it.
    >
    > Electrician came up to me after a job site meeting...raised his hand and called me "brother". He lost his by sliding his hand along a wall above a metal door frame, ring caught on the corner of the frame as he stepped off the bottom rung of the step ladder. Boom.

Oh, bummer, @PinkTavo! Thanks for sharing this story and sorry for your injury.

Speak of freak accidents: one of my cousins, a while back, an electrician, always carried a small tester screw driver in his shirt pocket. Pockets. on the dress and work shirts are always on the left side. Car accident. Tester went through his heart, killed him on the spot. Corroner basically said he would have lived if not for the tester in his pocket... I never carry anything in my shirt or coat pockets, including pens or pencils, or spare glasses.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @EzzyT what type of lamp wick do you buy? looking to try but all I'm seeing is 2" wide sections
  • EzzyT
    Your in NJ? Which supplyhouses you deal with?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    or is candle wick the same thing?
  • EzzyT
    Some call it lampwick some call it candlewick same thing
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856