Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Return Piping

Options
I just purchased a 1920's era home in the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore and it has a steam boiler. I've been reading a lot on this forum and I've read Dan's book, "We Got Steam Heat!". Looking at the near boiler piping, does this look correct? There are two mains and what I think are 4 returns. Two at the end of the mains and two right after the mains connect to the boiler.

Thanks,

mk

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Oh dear. Well, what is your opinion, having read Dan's book?

Frankly, there isn't a whole lot right about it... the original iron pipe isn't too bad...

Fortunately for you, if it's giving you trouble, @Steamhead is right in that area. On the other hand, if it's not giving you trouble or noise...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Looks like a counterflow system?
    Your system would have been better served by bringing each main directly to the header. A larger header would have been appropriate. Without knowing the specs on the boiler, I'd say velocity out of the header is on the high side.
  • mpkozar
    mpkozar Member Posts: 13
    Options
    So far no noise or real trouble. I've started insulating the copper pipe and the mains to get through the winter. After the heating season, I plan to call Steamhead to have a look at the system and replace the copper pipe.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    mpkozar said:

So far no noise or real trouble. I've started insulating the copper pipe and the mains to get through the winter. After the heating season, I plan to call Steamhead to have a look at the system and replace the copper pipe.

Perfect. You're doing exactly the right things!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    1. get rid of the copper
    2. two supplies from header ..not 1 as you have now
    3. Counterflow drips need to be tied togeather below the waterline ..not above it
  • mpkozar
    Options
    What's the purpose of the counterflow drips?

This is a small, Burnham Independence burner, PIN3SNI-ME2, manufactured in September, 1998. If I've calculated the EDR on the radiators correctly (There are only 5) it's 126 sq ft. The house is a row home, not on the end with 2 bedrooms, a bath upstairs and a kitchen and living room downstairs. Only about 600 sq ft of living space.

I still need to order two 90 degree PVC elbows to finish the insulation. Should I also insulate the counterflows?

Thanks,

mk

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    The pipe coming out of the boiler is copper . Where it connects to the two steel supply elbows there is a tee facing down on each of the supplies. That is the condensate return. The two returns are teed together above the boiler water line. they should be teed together below the water line
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    The counterflow drips are where all the condensate from the radiators and mains returns to the boiler. You don't have dedicated returns if this is counterflow. The mains act as both the supply for steam and return of condensate. steam going one way and the condensate going the other way.
  • mpkozar
    Options
    But, there are also returns at the end of the mains too. The copper pipes are attached to the wet return.

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    This isn't a counterflow system @mpkozar. Those drips were from the original boiler, which likely didn't have an equalizer (or a Hartford loop for that matter). I've seen a few systems designed this way.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    In the first picture posted, the mains appear to slope up away from the boiler as in a counter flow system.
    There have been at least 2 systems shown on the wall that start out as counter flow sloping up and then perhaps turn a corner and become parallel flow, needing a return at the end of main.

My guess is that this was done to save head room from piping in the basement. A continuous slope in one direction would have put one end or the other very low for headaches. Splitting the slope would have raised the pipe.......then having to trip over a wet return pipe rather than head banging. ;) IMO
    mpkozar
  • mpkozar
    Options
    That makes sense. I suppose it doesn't matter which direction the mains pitch since there's a return at both ends.
    MilanD