Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler electric switch does nothing?

Options
When my Peerless 63-06 gas steam boiler is firing, if I turn off the switch in this picture, the boiler continues to fire. If I turn the switch off when the boiler is not firing and wait until the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler fires. I assumed this was the master electricity shut-off switch for the boiler. Some numbskull either wired it wrong or disabled it. I have not yet taken the switch out to check the connections in the switch box. I have rewired an entire house in my past, and know my way around mains wiring. But inside the boiler, I do not know what I should be looking for if the wiring inside the switch box appears ok. Can anybody help me diagnose this? I am amazed that this passed my pre-real-estate settlement inspection and also passed a recent system inspection from the contractor who had installed the boiler for the prior owner. Amazing -- and potentially SHOCKING! :'(

Comments

• Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Options
    > @Hatterasguy said:
    > You'd be looking for another source of a/c supply.............like maybe that BX wire that swoops down, unsecured, and enters the boiler jacket right below the switch........................

That other BX cable goes to the automatic vent damper, which has live power when actuated when the flame fires, whether the switch on the surface mounted box is surged is switched on or off
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    My guess is that the switch is miswired.
    Have you opened it up?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Is there another boiler switch upstairs and does that one work?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Motorapido
    Options
    > @Hatterasguy said:
    > That appears to be your issue. Power from the vent damper usually goes onward once the damper closes.
    >
    > Need a wiring diagram.

Ah. Vent damper is broken and switched to manual/open. I have ordered a replacement. I will download and post the boiler wiring diagram, too. Tomorrow I will open the switch box to inspect the wires. Thanks, all.
  • Motorapido
    Options
    > @BobC said:
    > Is there another boiler switch upstairs and does that one work?
    >
    > Bob

No boiler switch upstairs, other than circuit breaker to boiler.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Could all that low voltage wiring indicate a millivolt system?????
    Your relief valve should be vertical.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Motorapido
    Options
    What is a millivolt system?
  • Motorapido
    Options
    My relief valve is vertical. On the wiring, there is the thermostat wire dropping down from above, and then small gauge wires from the pressuretrol and over to the low-water cut-off. I believe I measured 24 volts ac at the pressuretrol. Is that a millivolt system? Do pressuretrols usually have full line voltage, 120?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Actually, your relief valve is horizontal. The stem needs to be straight up, and the discharge horizontal. Should say so on the tag.
    Rick