Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anybody ever install two-stage burner on Peerless 63-06-sprk-w/s boiler?

Options
I'm about 50% over-sized on the boiler of my one-pipe steam system with a Peerless 63-06-sprk-w/s boiler. I'd like to hire a pro to install a two-stage burner so I can keep my pressure lower and minimize cycling. Peerless tech support will not tell me if it is possible to retrofit this boiler model or recommend the parts to do it. They wrote: "You must consult with your heating contractor." That is the extent of what they will tell me. If pros on this forum confirm that they have retrofitted this Peerless boiler and that it is a straightforward job for a good gas technician, I will proceed. Can any decent gas service tech do this, or is it tricky enough to require importing a Heatinghelp Wall member pro who has done this project on this particular boiler?

I know the best thing to do first is pick the low-hanging fruit by optimizing the various components of the system, and I have already done that. My system upgrades have made my venting capacity superb on my mains (Big Mouths a-plenty). Pipes are insulated and pitched correctly. Wet returns flushed. Radiator vents new and balanced. I calibrated the Pressuretrol using the tiny hex-head calibration screw on the switch mechanism so it cuts out at exactly 1.5 psi and back in at 0.5 psi as measured on my new 0 to 3 psi gauge (before calibrating, the Pressuretrol was allowing the boiler to build pressure to 34 ounces at cut out). Boiler now cycles a few times on pressure before thermostat is satisfied on cold days. On warmer days, it sometimes satisfies the thermostat with just one firing, but usually fires two or more times before the thermostat is satisfied when very cold outside. I would switch to a vaporstat and set the cut-out pressure to 8 ounces or so, but that would just increase the cycling since the boiler is 50% oversized. Thus, I am considering retrofitting to a two-stage burner. Boiler is 10 years old, so if it lasts another 15 or 20 years (knock wood), if I can retrofit it to two-stage, I would have years of efficiency increase.

Can anybody share their experience with retrofitting this particular Peerless 63-06-sprk-w/s boiler with a two-stage burner.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What you're asking for would void any warranty or liability on the manufacturers part and place it all upon the person doing it or instructing how to do it. For that reason, you probably won't get the answer you're seeking.

There are also technical reasons why it should not be attempted: flue gas condensation; combustion safety; co2 levels, etc.

It would be one thing for a pro to do it on his own equipment; but a whole different matter for someone else's.

You could also be subjecting the owner of this site to liability if he allows it to be posted.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    j a_2
This discussion has been closed.