Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Faulty floor valve 1 pipe steam.

Options
When we had our boiler replaced last year we also had all of the floor valves and air vents replaced. One of the the radiators is now experiencing a fluttering sound when the steam comes up. If I turn the floor valve off the fluttering stops so I think I have isolated the problem. Could I have a faulty valve and if so could I get away with only replacing the stem and plunger since the valve is in a book case?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You may not even have to replace anything except the packing and the washer -- and maybe not even that. Without a picture, it's not possible to be exact, but most valves have a bonnet at the top, through which the stem passes. That bonnet contains packing, which prevents leaks. There may be another piece below that, which can be taken off by a wrench. When you get the thing apart, there is a washer at the bottom of the stem which seats against the valve seat in the body of the valve. If that is loose, it could be your problem.

A photo would help to see where to put wrenches to take it apart. But don't try to take it apart unless the boiler is turned off!!!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Loose washer on that valve. Remove bonnet and check the washer.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Can you better describe "Flutter" or post a video with the sound? Does the sound come from the area of the valve or from the vent on the opposite side? Do you see any water around or under the radiator itself? It is possible the radiator has a pin hole in it and what you are hearing is steam escaping. It could also be at the union where the valve connects to the radiator.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    I took the valve apart and tightened the washer which made a huge difference. I also noticed that although the radiator was sloped correctly side to side it was also slightly tipped front to back so when I took a quarter out from under the front foot it ran silently on the last cycle. I am guessing condensate was pooling in the inner corner and I was hearing a slight hammering as well.