Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Leakage cause?

Options
Hey there folks, I have a 25 year old Burnham series 4B boiler, (some folks I know have had a Burnham last 50 years, so I don't know why it's failing already) , and I was wondering if the cause is from my son constantly leaving the door open (we live in Albany, NY, so it can get pretty cold up here). My son is obsessed with building stuff in the shed (been like this for 3 years already) and we have a backdoor that's pretty hard to open/close, so because he often brings things in and out of the house for his projects, he pretty much just leaves the door open (by about one foot) for 5-7 hours (straight (home from school by 3:30, and boom right into the shed he goes until close to bedtime). The pilot light has been going out recently, too. Is all of this occurring because of my son leaving the door open, or is there potentially another reason, like maybe the boiler already running it's course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Let's hope he is building a new back door for the house!
    Is this steam, or hot water?
    25 years would be an acceptable lifespan. 50 year old boilers were made of much thicker metal, at the cost of efficiency, and therefore would last longer.
    Probably no harm will come from leaving the door open, except for higher fuel bills.--NBC
    GordyDan FoleyRomanGK_26986764589
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Look. Be happy your son is building stuff in the shed and not hanging out downtown somewhere. The door isn't hurting your boiler -- although as @nicholas bonham-carter said, it may be doing a number on your fuel bill.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GordyJUGHNE
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I think for a productive project fixing the back door should be high on the list.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Amazing today that a child wants to go outside and build something using more digits than just thumbs. :)

How is your boiler failing? Leaking or something else?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    I agree, don't discourage him!! Some of us want to retire someday.