Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Odd Radiator Piping

Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
Gentlemen (and Ladies), I recently came across the unusual piping pictured and was wondering what thoughts those with great experience might have regarding it. This radiator was the only radiator on the third floor of a home with an otherwise perfectly normal one-pipe system. No other radiator was piped like this, and I don't know if the small valve was normally open or closed, as it was stuck in position. The radiator seemed to be heating fine. All I could think of was that perhaps they might have occasionally wanted to shut this attic radiator off, and were really worried about freezing the small amount of residual water in it. Notice that the small pipe comes out of an eccentric bushing - so I assume the arrangement is original. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It looks like the radiator has a slight pitch towards the supply valve. I would think someone considered that solution to allow steam to enter though both ends of the radiator, maybe because it was slow getting to the third floor. A vent on the riser to that radiator would probably have corrected that issue.
  • I would say that radiator was a later addition, because of its height. The deadmen would have chosen a lower profile rad, centered in the window.--NBC
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Floor settles. Doesn't matter which way rad slants?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    some kind of kludge to to drain the little amount of condensate in the radiator which maybe created a little bit of hammer on startup of the cycle? radiator has a 2"x1.25" or 1.5" bushing on the supply side which would trap some water in the bottom of the rad. the eccentric on the far/return side would drain the water to a lower level than could drain from the supply side.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If the small valve was open would steam enter both ends and close the air vent early?
    Plus have hammer from the small pipe trying to drain condensate and pass steam?

Maybe is drain down for freeze protection?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Somebody's dream. I don't think it has any purpose
    GrallertMilanD
  • Harry_6
    I think the most valid observation is that it not only isn't centered, but is too tall. The dead guys would have known that the part above the sill provides almost no additional heat. As it is the only radiator on the third floor, it may have been an addition to make an attic room into a bedroom. The quality of the piping, the pedestal feet and the eccentric bushing all say that it's either original or an early addition. And it does seem like the steam entering there would prematurely close the vent, so I'm guessing it was only opened after the radiator was hot and then closed after water was drained. But why? Water would immediately refill up to the steam line. Was it left cracked? I remain perplexed.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I don't believe that radiator started out in front of that window. Maybe between the two windows? Someone had what they thought was a reason for doing that. I'm pretty sure originally the valve was down where that Tee is and the radiator legs sat on the floor. Have you ever lifted the carpet in the area between the windows and look to see if there are any signs that the radiator was once in that location? Maybe they had a piece of furniture they wanted between the windows???
  • Harry_6
    No, it will remain a mystery. I was only in the house once, and briefly, so I've no other clues.
    New England SteamWorks
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Maybe it's a brilliant invention? Steam enters from whatever side and pushes condensate out the other?

I think I remember unit heaters being piped from one pipe to both connections.