Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Domestic water with an odor.

Hi all. One of the very important people here at school has been complaining of an odor in her domestic water for the past few weeks. Most notable in the hot side. Her husband doesn't notice it. I was informed of this last week.
The house is a relatively new building, 2003 or so. I visited and indeed could smell the water. To me it has a metallic smell maybe coppery. So I flushed the tank, It was full of crud, and replaced the anode, it was 99% gone. Well the odor persists. This building is on city water. I had an independent water tester come and do an on sight test as well as a collection for the lab. The results have not come back yet. But my question for now is; is there some thing I should be looking for in the results? Is there something in particular I should be asking for in the testing?
Thanks for any in sight you guys might have.

Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Lots of possible causes. But chemicals I'd be looking for would various sulphides -- particularly hydrogen sulphide. That's usually described as rotten eggs, but can be other odours. Also some manganese compounds, particularly with sulphur.

I'd try really really cleaning that hot water tank!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Larry offers some good tips at his site, buy his book if you are in, or into hot water.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/stinky-water-in-hot-water-heaters.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    Thanks guys. The guy who came out to take test samples did do a test for sulfides on sight and came up with negative. I'll look into that book it sounds interesting.
  • Grallert
    hot rod said:

Larry offers some good tips at his site, buy his book if you are in, or into hot water.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/stinky-water-in-hot-water-heaters.html

Wow I just linked to that sight.
    I'll be visiting that place again. Thanks
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hello and thanks! I try to help out at Water Heater Rescue as I can... To the question, you might look at the pH of the water, to see if it's attacking the copper pipe and also look for any dead legs in the plumbing. They wind up being great places for nasties to accumulate and grow. ;)

Yours, Larry
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Re: Nasties

What temperature is the water heater set to?
  • Grallert
    Paul48 said:

Re: Nasties

What temperature is the water heater set to?

The water is approximately 120 though I haven't put a thermometer to it. The initial on sight test shows no sulfur. I assume that is the most common odor complaint?

Hello and thanks! I try to help out at Water Heater Rescue as I can... To the question, you might look at the pH of the water, to see if it's attacking the copper pipe and also look for any dead legs in the plumbing. They wind up being great places for nasties to accumulate and grow. ;)

Yours, Larry

To me the smell has a coppery quality to it which leaks me to believe there is something attacking the pipes.
    I replaced the water heater yesterday because of its age and the condition of the original anode. Also because this is the Head of Schools residence and we try to keep everything perfect there. I'm sure we will be installing some water treatment in the near future as soon as we get the lab test results back.
    I'll keep you all posted. Again, thanks for all of your input.
    M