Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What size pipe for 600' radiant loops?

bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
I am designing a radiant floor for a huge warehouse like space. The building is 450' long and 75' wide. I want to bring all the loops back to a boiler room located in the middle of the building on one side. The longest (because of crossing the width of the building) loops will be about 630'. I'd like to use several small pumps rather than one giant one to move the water. I seems I can have 4 loops on one 007e pump. I'd like to use 3/4" pipe for ease of installation, but I'm not sure if the head required can be supplied by the 007e's.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Need to know flow rates , and water temps required for the loops in question.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    A 630-ft radiant loop? Is that smart?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Paul S_3
  • Gordy
    Not in my opinion. However it is a warehouse, and high loop deltas may not be a concern. However circulator size, and energy usage may be. 3/4" pex is the user choice. Nailing down a head loss needs more questions answered.

That's why digging for details. Is glycol going to be implemented in the system is another question.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Like Gordy said, need more info but 600' is pushing it with 3/4" pex.
    Steve Minnich
    Gordy
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    And how far are you willing to push the delta T?
    Steve Minnich
    Gordy
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think the obvious, easy solution is to just put the manifolds where they need to be for smaller loops. They can be locked in a cabinet.
    I'd rather run supply/return copper pair for each manifold then the logistics of trying to home run 600 feet of tubing.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    600 ft loops of 3/4" pex are difficult to install, not to mention the increased pump sizing. I'd go with 5/8" pex and remote manifold locations.
  • Gordy
    Shorter loops are always a plus. Both in maintaining reasonable deltas, and keeping head loss down in ecm circulator capabilities. Let alone wrestling 600' of pex not once, but many times.

However since the OP is designing this system I'm willing to listen to possible logistic concerns of keeping everything centrally located.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Can you place manifolds in each corner of the building? That way you can pipe overhead in copper or iron from the boiler room. I have done a large building like this and it worked out well. 400' gives a reasonable head on 3/4 pex. I would not go over 450' under any circumstance. With the multiple manifold piped overhead (or fed by larger dia pex through slab) you can use a circulator for each manifold.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    600' would work out of a coil better. Or two 500' out of a 1000' coil.

Usually with long loops like that it is out and back, not that hard to run a single loop 600' with 3/4" in a large space.

The Radpad shows
    3/4 at 12" OC 20 btu/sq. ft 1.2 gpm at 7' head per loop.

A great application for mini tube injection to a remote manifold.

Good thing with warehouses is you can run higher supply and large delta T. Counter flow the loops for best slab temperature consistency.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    If the location of the remote manifolds is an issue, you can use traffic rated in slab manifold boxes. You can run under slab pex supply lines to two boxes and feed the center from the mech room.
    Breaking the buildings into thirds should enable you to run loop lengths of more like 400'. At 2' centers you would have 56 loops or so. That would take a whole lot of 007's.You could run a circ for each manifold, it would just have to be a bit bigger
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein