Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit

Inspector requirements for radiant system

I bought a Hydro-smart 120 micro boiler in Minneapolis, then had it installed here in Canada. It has worked fine since it was put into service 8 months ago. The inspector came a week ago and will not approve the boiler. The CSA label only has the US under it and the inspector will not allow it because the CSA sticker has to a have a C under it as well and the US. He said the company is not allowed to just mail me a sticker that complies (CSA told me that the HS120 does have a Canadian certification) but that the company themselves have to put the sticker on. They are 1000 miles away from me.
The inspector also said that the Hydro-Smart 120 boiler is not a boiler - it is a water heater - even though the website and the installation manual exclusively call it a micro-boiler and only give instructions for it as a radiant heater. The inspector says that because it is not a boiler but a water heater it cannot be hooked up in a stand alone application but must be connected to my domestic water supply. It is located at the back of my attached garage over 100 ft from my water system.

Is anyone else familiar with problems like this?
Thank you for your comments.


  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 2,825Member
    edited February 2017
    Well, he's wrong, and he's the boss. You have 2 hurdles.
    First, is he only going to accept the boiler with the proper sticker? If you call the manufacturer, will they mail you a sticker (maybe if you send them a picture). They type of sticker might just only be the sticker placed on the unit based on it's wholesale destination.
    Also, can the manufacturer provide you (for him) with the proper documentation? The manual clearly shows piping for zones (heat) and has one diagram with a flat plate heat exchanger for domestic hot water.
  • Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Posts: 5,844Member
    I believe the ruling about having to be connected to a potable water source, and having a point where hot water can be drawn off is correct. I've never gotten any sort of good interpretation from our friends up north, other than the explanation that a water heater in fact is connected to the potable water, and hot water can be drawn off of it...

    Quite honestly, the only thing I can figure is that it's a turf ware between pipe fitters and plumbers. If it's connected to the potable water system and has a draw cock on it, then its plumbing, and not allowed to be installed by a pipe fitter.

    As for the inspector, you MIGHT try going to his supervisor with a letter of explanation from the manufacturer and see if they will agree. Field inspectors are not to wonder why, theirs is to enforce or die.

    Good luck.

    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Posts: 2,318Member
    edited February 2017
    We failed an inspection on our recent Mitsubishi installation this morning. Inspector said the 3' 3/8" greenfield whips we used to the heads were against code. Said 3/8" could only be used for lighting.

    I wasn't there and Tim didn't tell me until after the inspector left. I called the village and left a message for him citing 348.20 in the NEC. I haven't heard back yet but we have 3 16 AWG conductors and a ground in each whip. Amp draw is roughly 0.05 amps. He's going to have to tell me what it is we did wrong before we change anything. Am I missing something?

    On their reviews, they should be required to cite chapter and verse from the governing code book.
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 9,264Member
    edited February 2017
    And understand the codes as to the reasons why.
  • jumperjumper Posts: 1,302Member
    Where in Canada & which inspector? When I lived in Ontario rules concerning gas appliances was up to local gas utility,which almost always followed CGA. CSA was CSA,not CSA/C or CSA/US. We didn't kill too many Canadians in those days so why has everything become so sticky?
  • Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Posts: 2,318Member
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but my inspector called back, admitted he made a mistake.
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.
  • Solid_Fuel_ManSolid_Fuel_Man Posts: 1,458Member
    @Stephen Minnich good, because he is wrong. 348.20 (A)2a states it may be used for utilization equipment, as long as it is not in excess of 6 feet.
    Master electrician specialising in boiler and burner controls, multiple fuel systems, radiant system controls, building controls, and universal refrigeration tech.
  • Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Posts: 2,318Member
    Yup. I have the code book right on my desk. I've been licensed since '87 but only got it for the purpose of using it in our field.
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.
  • The supplier said they would send me the correct CSA sticker but the inspector said they can't just mail it out to anyone - it has to be a company person put it on in person. The inspector has ordered the contractor who did the permit to disconnect my boiler and its -20 C here right now. I gave the supplier contact info to the inspector and I hope he will allow my boiler after he talks to them. I tried to get everything done safely and properly but I feel like I am being caught by a technicality.
  • LeonardLeonard Posts: 813Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm not in the trade but Just several ideas.....

    You said it needs to be connected to domestic water supply. Would just running an above ground hose or plastic irrigation water line to your water supply solve the problem? Seen irrigation line runs hundreds of feet of used between summer cabins in Maine, USA for potable water during warm months, drained in winter.

    Maybe you can get a letter from manufacturer stating that your unit with model # XXXXX and serial number #XXXXX is approved for your use in canada and they are authorizing you to be their temporary representative to apply the label. ( technically that may make you part of the company). May have to send them a pic of their boiler.

    IF nothing else maybe you can get inspector to talk directly to the manufacturer?? But I'ld call manufacturer first to make sure answer he gives is one you will like.

    If that fails maybe ask the manufacturer/supplier to have a local employee come out and apply sticker. Even if you had to pay for that it seems it would be cheaper than shipping a boiler. Can try getting them to do it for free saying it was defective in that they didn't apply correct lable ( but maybe it was a gray goods, imported from USA and not authorized to be sold in Canada??)

    Does make me wonder though, once a sticker is on a unit how would anyone determine WHO put it there.

  • kcoppkcopp Posts: 3,324Member
    Is there a Mfg rep in the area who can help you out by going to bat for you?
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!