Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

blow down piping

Options
The engineers piping schematic has an 1 1/2 blow down line from the bottom drain outlet of the Weil McClain 980 boiler to a PV60 Spirax Sarco blow down tank. The blow down tank is 10' away from the boiler with an access route to the exterior door of the mechanical room between the two pieces of equipment . Can the blow down line rise into the ceiling space then drop down into the intended inlet of the blow down tank. The blow down line will have a quick close valve mounted nearest the boiler. If the line can be piped up to the ceiling level should a check valve be installed after the quick close valve.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    What is your normal operating pressure? If you rise like that, you will have to have enough pressure to lift the water that far. I would be very much inclined to put a vacuum breaker on the high point, too.

Is there a way you can relocate the tank so that the pipe doesn't cross the access route -- which, you are quite correct in thinking, it shouldn't do?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    I would call the engineer.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    I agree with@bob call th e engineer and start trenching the floor.

I hate blowdown tanks because you always have to rise up to get into them. doesn't promote a good boiler flushing.

@Jamie Hall is right about the pressure. Cant go up from a low pressure steam boiler
  • MikeDurigon
    MikeDurigon Member Posts: 33
    Options
    boiler pressure will be 8 - 10 psi. The blow down tank is vented to atmosphere. The thought that a vacuum breaker would be a good idea i do not understand but my steam knowledge is not good. Would a check valve after the quick close valve make for a good installation ?