Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro Press Tool Recommendation

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,498
Hello all,
I was thinking of purchasing a press tool for doing work around the house. I no longer install as my company now just reps boilers. Is there a brand or model you think would be appropriate? I realize I could simply rent one from a supply house but would like to own one.
Thanks for your expertise
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Milwaukee, Ridgid or REMS would be my choices. You can get a less expensive model which goes up to 1 1/4". That usually covers anything in most houses.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    I work for F W Webb P&H wholesalers and most contractors buy and use the Ridgid press tools.
    RP 200-B press tool. 1/2" to 1 1/4" copper & SS press fittings plus 3/8" to 1 1/2" for Pex with the optional jaws. Cordless model.

RP 210-B Press Tool same as the 200-B tool above

RP 330-B press tool. 1/2" to 4" copper & SS press fittings with the right jaws plus 1/2" to 2" for pex with optional jaws plus you can get the Ridgid Megapress jaws for use with the Viega Megapress water and Megapress gas fittings used on black steel pipe.

cdn2.ridgid.com Look under pressing

Where are you located send me a email and we can quote you on this tool.

eck@fwwebb.com

• RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks Ironman and Bob.
    I am in Pittsburgh PA My email is ray@fireiceheat.com
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I don't own one but was recently on a job where we installed 12 viessmann 200s. A lot of 2" press there, 2 boilers/building, 6 bldgs. The installer (I was wireing building controls) had a brand new Milwaukee press tool. It failed twice. Hydraulics wouldn't make the full press. Wholesaler gave him a nibco press tool (took makita batteries) which he used more than the Milwaukee. Nibco was slower, but was used at loaner before.

Just my experience.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    My favorite press tool is a "B" Tank.

But seriously everyone seem to go with the Ridgid although here are others available, Rems also makes good tools.

My favorite is the old Ridgid 120volt model. Heavy and no swivel head but it would really crimp desicively.

I think Ridgid has a smaller corded model now.

The small Ridgid battery model up to 11/4" is probably the way to go
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I have a corded version REMS that has been a great tool. I have tongs to cut all thread, press various pex rings and for copper press fittings up to 1-1/4", very versatile.

Cordless are nice for quick and easy, but unless you use the batteries for other tools, it may not be charged and ready when you need it.

The small cordless Milwaukee is a nice size and price, but sounds like it might have some issues? Maybe do a press tool test "search" to see if others are having problems with certain brands or models.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I have the complete Milwaukee kit for both copper and black iron. We had a couple hiccups when we first received it but have worked them out since. Hardest part is planning to get it into tight spaces. I've screwed up a few times and had to back track due to my own ill planning..
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks All We rented a Nibco and it worked well Perhaps I should rent a couple different types and see what works best for me.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons