Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flexible steam piping

Options
Does anyone know of any flexible, pre-insulated piping that would be acceptable for low pressure <= 1lb steam, for residential use? I'd like something I could easily fish down an existing wall from second floor to basement.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Is the route a straight shot down?
    lengths of black pipe, with couplings could work.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I'd have to look it up again, but there is stuff out there. Don't think it's pre insulated and you don't want to pay for it. It would be cheaper to build a new house (roughly speaking). We bought some for a test lab that needed vibration/movement isolation to get the steam into the test chamber.

Do you have an issue with running black pipe?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    We use braided stainless steel lines with a teflon coating inside for our flexible steam lines with flanged connections. Like @KC_Jones says, you don't want to know the price. I've never seen any of it pre insulated either.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,276
    Options
    Fish down some urethane hose. At one pound what's the worse that can happen?
  • izhadano
    izhadano Member Posts: 90
    Options
    You can use silicon hose - good for -65° to 350°F (-53.9°C to +176.6°C). Many sizes to choose from. Will, definitely, work for your operating parameters.
    Optionally, connect pieces of pipe with silicon hose, clamp them, insulate (if opening is big enough) and fish through wall.
    Easy to assemble/disassemble/inspect/pitch. Bonus - pipe thermal expansion is compensated.

In this case "You can have it good, fast or cheap". Pick all 3 :)
    Canucker
  • David_54
    David_54 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    The silicon hose solution sounds interesting. Any recommended sources for hose, fittings, etc? It's just that I can't open up the wall to easily route black iron (which would be my first choice, btw). The upper and lower walls construction and its many windows dictate the need for an alternate solution.