Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Packless radiator valve

Options

Any information on these packless radiator valves?
I found a few to be leaking. if I can fix them I would like to, if not I would like a suitable replacement.
Thank you.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That hex nut, in your first picture looks like it is cracked from the valve stem down to about half way across the surface of the nut/cover. Is it leaking from that crack?
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Options
    I only noticed it leaking out of the valve stem.
    Good catch. I'll inspect that next time I'm there. I'm going to just open it up and be ready with a new valve.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options

Good catch. I'll inspect that next time I'm there. I'm going to just open it up and be ready with a new valve.

Problem. Those valves have a union which is matched to the radiator spud. If you were to replace only the valve, the odds on getting the new valve half of that union to match the old spud half are pretty low, and it will leak.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Options

Problem. Those valves have a union which is matched to the radiator spud. If you were to replace only the valve, the odds on getting the new valve half of that union to match the old spud half are pretty low, and it will leak.
    I've been down that road.
    Thankfully new valves come with new spuds.

This is what I found on the sylphon valve.
    Weird looking "S".
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Probably only to the original Home owner though. LOL
    Jim_RMilanD