Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure relief valve leaks after zone valve install

Options
eddiedellz
eddiedellz Member Posts: 3
I have a Burnham series 2 boiler where the pressure relief valves seems to start leaking after turn the thermostat off or it reaches itso temptress. I checked the expansion tank pressure 15psi , boiler off pressure is 15 psi aswell. I've shut the thermostat off and watched the pressure climb to 30 psi and start dripping. This is after adding baseboard heat and zone valves to my basement. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Air in system, fill valve stuck open, expansion tank now too small with additional radiation. I would start there.
    If you make domestic hot water thru an internal coil, the coil may be leaking, pressurizing your system.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Make sure you check your air pressure in the expansion tank with the boiler pressure at zero, or you will get a false reading.
    Rick
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Is there a flow check in the circulator or line? If so, remove it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • eddiedellz
    Options
    > @Ironman said:
    > Is there a flow check in the circulator or line? I
    I don't see anything after the pump would it be in internal?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do see the feed coming in right at the back of the circulator. So when the circ comes on, a pressure drop could open the feed valve. If the feed valve doesnt seat properly, it will overfill the boiler. However I don't know where the exp tank is located in relation to the circulator.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• eddiedellz
    Options
    The expansion tank is on top of the circulator pump and feed is T> @STEVEusaPA said:
    > I do see the feed coming in right at the back of the circulator. So when the circ comes on, a pressure drop could open the feed valve. If the feed valve doesnt seat properly, it will overfill the boiler. However I don't know where the exp tank is located in relation to the circulator.

The expansion sion tank is on top of the circulator
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    as @rick in Alaska said you have to check the air pressure in the expansion tank with it removed from the system. It sounds like you have lost your air cushion or that the expansion is too small.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

> @Ironman said:

> Is there a flow check in the circulator or line? I

I don't see anything after the pump would it be in internal?

Pretty sure that's a grundfos pump. There's an internal check on those.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Yes, there's an internal check in the discharge side of the pump's volute. It needs to be removed; that's what's causing your problem. You can't use (and don't need) a check valve when you have zone valves.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.