Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turning on zone valve manually

cjw9
cjw9 Member Posts: 12
(long story - hopefully short) ... I'm trying to confirm where my current issue is with getting no heat to 1 of 2 baseboard heat zones. I've been spending days working on thermostat wiring and have been told I have it correct, but I'm not confident in that. Currently - I have both zones calling for heat. Zone1 - works fine (always has); Zone2 (that I've been trying to fix) ... gets no heat. I'm hoping to confirm my issue is back with the thermostat wiring directly to the zone valve - so I've manually opened the zone valve ... and expect I should get baseboard heat in both zones. This is my second attempt at this ... I didn't get any heat yesterday when I tried this (it was late - I'm hoping I was half asleep or something). And I'm not sure how long it should take for the heat to get upstairs. Am I on the right track?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    "Upstairs" might be a clue. Air migrates to the highest point in a house. Make sure the zone is purged.
  • cjw9
    cjw9 Member Posts: 12
    I did get heat upstairs - or at least I can feel the hot water making it's way to the baseboards ... so I have assume my issue is back with my t-stat wiring. So - now I'm back the wiring problem that I've had for weeks (but at least I can get some heat upstairs when needed). I'm going to post the wiring issue new - ty
  • Paul48
    edited January 2017
    Having problems wiring a zone valve control? If you have the proper voltage getting to your zone valve, the problem is not at the t-stat.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    What model zone valve are you working with?
    Most systems are set so that you send power to the valve, once the valve is open, the valve closes an end switch that tells the system it is open.
    First check if the valve opens, then check that the end switch is functioning correctly.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Carl.....Check out his other post
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Paul48 said:

Carl.....Check out his other post

Thanks Paul,
    I don't want any part of that today.... ;)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein