Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What IS this????

Options
This is located in the 3rd floor attic of my 1890's house.

It is heated by gas-fired steam radiators, but I see no evidence of radiators on the 3rd floor.

Is it related to my heating system, or is it a still??

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    It looks to me as though it might have been an expansion tank or pressure tank. Possibly for an old hot water heating system; possibly for an even older domestic water system. I can't think how it would fit into a steam system, though...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Sour mash Still.....
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    That is a expansion tank used on a hot water gravity system
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    MilanDNew England SteamWorkskcopp
  • Gordy
    Options
    He has steam heat. Maybe originally gravity hot water. Then yes x tank.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Most heating system expansion tanks are steel, not brass. Also, on an open gravity system, there would have been an over flow pipe through the roof.

I'm guessing that this was a flush valve assist pressure tank. With out the oomph that the tank gives, old style flushometer toilets don't work too well.

Clean it up and use it as a planter.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    It has a gauge glass on it. On an open system, there would be no pressure, so brass would be fine. It's construction immediately brings to mind 1800's locomotives. I still vote for an expansion tank. IMHO, it's a museum quality piece, don't cut it.
  • Paul48
    Options
    I'll ask a stupid question(not my first).........Pre-electricity, how would one get make-up water into a steam boiler?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Paul48 said:

I'll ask a stupid question(not my first).........Pre-electricity, how would one get make-up water into a steam boiler?

Same person that shoveled the coal...manually?
    steve
  • Paul48
    Options
    Unless you had pressurized water from a tank in the attic?
  • Gordy
    Options
    I think I would rather carry water to the basement than the attic.....
  • Gordy
    Options
    Is that a pipe coming out of the top? And if it is a flush assist tank why is the bottom pipe not coming out of the bottom? It's exits near half way point.
  • Paul48
    Options
    That's reasonable....Now put yourself in that timeframe. You have one of the servants pump the water up.
    CLamb
  • Gordy
    Options
    The ports, site glass(is it glass?), and pressure type tank construction have me more curious about its purpose.

If it is a gravity fill tank for something. Why is it a high pressure designed tank in an unconditioned space at risk of freezing?
    Again why does the bottom pipe not come out of the bottom so the full volume of the tank can be used.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Does the op have dimensions of the tank? Photos can be deceiving. The tank probably weighs as much as the water it can hold.
  • Paul48
    Options
    unconditioned? high pressure designed? They didn't have spray foam and how else would they build a tank?
  • Paul48
    Options
    If you have a 19th century Victorian, and you want running water available, you'd have to put a tank in the attic. I can't see the very top or bottom of the tank. The sight glass may be there so the servants can make sure they don't let the water run out. Without the tank in the attic, the high tank of a pull-chain toilet won't refill. You can't run a tub. You can't form a bucket line with 1 or 2 servants.
    CLamb
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Maybe an early version of a hot water tank? Steam was fed into it via that side pipe, maybe there was a vent on the top. Steam condensed and the warmed water was used in a wash basin in the bathroom (if there was/is a pipe tapping on the bottom so it could gravity feed) ?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Another word of wisdom/caution. If in fact this is an expansion tank for a gravity circed heating system, AND there used to be a Honeywell #1 Heat Generator at the boiler, AND the expansion tank connection came off the HW #1, treat this tank with caution. It may contain mercury that was inadvertently blown up into the tank by someone attempting to "flush" the system. People have lost their business and homes due to this scenario...

Proceed with caution.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Gordy