Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smelling fumes after heater is on for a while

Options
Leela
Leela Member Posts: 4
I have a 3 year old Williams wall heater with smell. I called the gas company, they came out, tightened the gas line. It was still happening, I called them again, and they say no gas leak. After I turn the heater on for a while (1/2 hour or so), I can smell exhaust like fumes concentrated around the kitchen and bathroom in an 1 bedroom apartment, usually at night or early morning about half an hour after the heater goes on. Good thing that I don't need the heat that much in Southern CA, it's still annoying. There was no smell last couple of years, just started smelling about a month ago. Building maintenance was clueless. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    It could be a crack in the heat exchanger. If this vents the exhaust through the wall make sure the exhaust port it clear and that nothing is pushed up against it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Forced air heaters/furnaces sometimes have a peculiar smell when they are turned on for the first time during a heating season. Kind of like an iron when pressing a garment but it goes away after the first cycle, maybe two. Is that what it smells like? Do you have a CO detector? It may be a smart idea to have one somewhere near that area.
  • Leela
    Options
    Smell like car exhaust. It has been a month since I started noticing it. I have a couple of CO detectors next to it. Right now I just air it out a bit but that's not a solution.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Leela said:

Smell like car exhaust. It has been a month since I started noticing it. I have a couple of CO detectors next to it. Right now I just air it out a bit but that's not a solution.

That's not right. How is that heater vented to the outside? Did the gas company check the flue pipe to make sure it isn't clogged with a nest or that it hasn't come loose? A picture of the unit would be very helpful.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    How old are your CO detectors...the do have expiration dates. Also, most off the shelf ones will not alarm at low levels. I would have a competent HVAC tech come out and check to see if there is a crack in the Heat exchanger. Car exhaust is not the best smell to be coming from a furnace. If it were mine, I would turn it off until you have it checked, it could be dangerous. Any one in the house get any flue like symptoms since you noticed the smell?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Contact the owner/property manager and inform them that the unit needs professional attention. Ask them how they would like to handle the situation.
  • Leela
    Options
    I'll relate that to the maintenance person. They had called in a "professional" person, he didn't detect the gas leak. SDGE detected the gas leak. So, I'll see if they can get a competent professional.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Tell them, for safety reasons, you'll need a copy of the digital combustion analysis. @Tim McElwain
    Maybe Tim will weigh in on this. He runs a gas training institute.
    Koan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Kitchen & bath...do you smell the fumes when any exhaust fan is running?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

delta T
  • Leela
    Options
    No exhaust fan running. Exhaust fan in bathroom only, kitchen fan is for circulation only. Kitchen has 3 walls, think that's why smell accummulates there. I usually just open the window. 50 degrees it's manageable.