Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

V155 sticking

Options
341 Member Posts: 3
My mother has a converted coal to gas gravity furnace with a Honeywell V155 gas valve that occasionally sticks open. The mechanism seems to be free. When it sticks any vibration sets it free.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    So.........you should have it replaced, right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You need to get some Honeywell "FINOL" and insert a few drops into the small cups supplied on the valve. This will lubricate the valve and it should resume normal operation.

The V155 valve is an old Series 10 gas valve and it is motorized
    341 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Lubrication doesn't seem to eliminate the problem
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    The only oil that will work is FINOL from Honeywell. Otherwise you will need to do a change out. Series 10 (DPST three wire) can be converted to Series 80 (SPST two wire) just drop the red wire. The pilot can be converted over to a thermocouple set up using the same bracket that the existing pilot is apart of. Honeywell VR8300A with a Q314 A pilot.

You could also convert over to Powerpile using the same pilot with a Q313 pilot generator.

OR

A new furnace.
  • jwshade
    jwshade Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm working on the same v155 setup in an old coal to NG conversion gravity furnace. I see that the valve can be replaced with a VR8300. What all does this modification entail? What other parts are needed? Is there an adapter to go from the new combo valve to the existing 2-ear flange going into the burner port? I have in hand a new VR8300A, new pilot tubing kit and new 36" 30mv thermocouple.