Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low water service call

Options
So around 4pm the other night our boiler started short cycling. I went down and looked it all over and noticed the low water light indicator was flashing. I turned the heat all the way down and called the local oil supplier who is also the tech we have been using. They sent a kid right over to check it out, the same kid that came and service the burner a week earlier. We he got here I went down with him and we could hear the water was running to fill the boiler. He stood there and watched it for a little bit maybe 5 mins then said it looked good and left.

So two part question, is there something he might have down while cleaning the boiler that would make the boiler have low water. We were charge a very extremely high service charge for him to come to the house because they appearantley close at 4pm so it's an after hours call.
2nd and more important is there an underlying issue with our system that would cause low water issue.

Looking at the cleaning service bill, he has 1 hr labor, 1 Oil nozzle, 1 draw assembly cleaner, 1 oil diaper, 1 suntec fuel pump strainer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    More details needed. Is this a steam system or hot water system? Has the water level remained constant since it refilled or has it lost water again? Do you see any wet spots around the boiler or elsewhere around the house? Are there any return pipes under the basement floor? Pictures of the boiler and near boiler piping would be helpful.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    no one can clean a boiler in 1 hour and do it right. 2--2.5 hours is more like it if there are no issues.

I would gauarantee the boiler was never cleaned
    delta T
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options

no one can clean a boiler in 1 hour and do it right. 2--2.5 hours is more like it if there are no issues.

I would gauarantee the boiler was never cleaned

Takes almost an hour just to change a nozzle and run the tests to get the burner set right... never mind clean anything. Unless you're awfully quick!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Steve, does your boiler have an auto fill on it or do you manually fill it? Has anyone ever gone over your system with you in reference to weekly or monthly checks? I agree with the others, if your tech was there for an hour and left he failed to properly take care of your system.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

He stood there and watched it for a little bit maybe 5 mins then said it looked good and left.

Call and ask to speak with the owner. Explain to him that the service tech did nothing more than observe, and that technically it wasn't after hours because the tech hadn't gone home yet. I don't believe in coincidences, so perhaps the tech had adjusted the water level.

One of the great things about oil is that you are a continuous customer, so you have a lot of leverage. If they don't want to work with you, look for another oil company. A great way to choose one is to ask if they do combustion testing with their annual service. The best ones all do.

As far as time, Service Techs are trained to work very quickly and efficiently. The industry standard is to do 4 per day. A steam boiler takes a little longer though, IMHO. But most companies won't make that distinction. But again, you should find your oil company to be agreeable to any level of service you like. It's not like you are dealing with some big conglomerate. You'd be surprised what you can get just by asking. Give him a try.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Grallert
  • Steve_in_NH
    Steve_in_NH Member Posts: 70
    Options
    He was just cleaning the oil burner. Did a combustion test as well. I asked him if he knew a lot about steam systems and he said he didn't. Also in convo later he said it was normal for the vents to hiss. Doesn't make sense that he would mess something up with the water but who knows. Everytime they have come to clean it seems something goes wrong shortly after. I have been trying to find a steam contractor to service the boiler without any luck. I got a couple leads from here on people willing to travel to replace the boiler when we are ready but not service yet.

I have posted here before. I know the near boiler piping is wrong thanks to you all. The water seems to be holding but its only been two days. We have an auto feed for the water. I recently insulated the pipes. I lowered the pressure with help from the forum. I have been having some hissing from the large Groton vent in the kitchen (end of line). Sounds like a tea kettle just before it starts to blow. Happens at the end after all rads are hot and it's just about to shut down after reaching desired room temp. So it doesn't do it very long but I'm sure if I set the room to 80 it would keep doing it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options

... I lowered the pressure with help from the forum. I have been having some hissing from the large Groton vent in the kitchen (end of line). Sounds like a tea kettle just before it starts to blow. Happens at the end after all rads are hot and it's just about to shut down after reaching desired room temp. So it doesn't do it very long but I'm sure if I set the room to 80 it would keep doing it.

To what did you lower the pressure? And are you sure that the pigtail to the pressuretrol is clear? Your description above is just what one would expect if the pressure were high...

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I'm just curious why the auto fill didnt do it's job? Have you ever had to manually add water before?
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options
    Re:RI_steamworks

This is a very small town where everyone knows everyone's business. They are a family own business that employs many family members in every part of the business.

Funny story... 2 years ago the tech (a family member) broke something on the burner while cleaning it. The end of the day he said he would be back the next day. Never showed up. So we call, they are having trouble finding the part. The next morning 7 am we hear a noise in the basement. The tech let himself in through the basement and was in process of fixing the burner. Never knocked or called, nothing. So we complained. His mom who has always be friendly with my wife no longer says hi to her when they see each other in the grocery store.

I have never checked the pigtail. How do I do that?
    I have never had to manually add water before.
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options
    Here's a link to the discussion you all helped me with a year ago.
    Has pictures attached.

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/156986/read-the-book-still-have-question-re-one-pipe-system#latest
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    Maybe it's different in a rural area. Sounds rather quaint in a way I suppose. But no way would we ever venture into someone's basement without pre approval!
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    delta T
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Where I live that guy would probably be dead right now. Small town or not you walk into my house uninvited, the police are getting called.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Is this the steve in NH that lives in Lancaster? If so I remember your other post. Have you looked around your returns to make sure there is no leaks or wet spots on the floor? It seems strange it would need to add a lot of water.

I know you are looking for someone to help you repipe a new one this summer, I am Montpelier Vt and my good buddy lives in Lancaster. Happy to help.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options
    I took the pigtail off and cleaned it. I could not blow through it before cleaning it. I'm going to purchase a new one as I couldn't get it completely clear but can at least blow through it now. See pictures attached.

The Groton at the end of the line in the kitchen still hisses but I'm guessing that it was probably damaged due to the high pressure?? Too bad because it's only a year old and was expensive. I have a couple extra vent-rite adjustable that I can put on it to see if that stops the hissing.

Seems the rad in the upstairs bedroom now pings pretty loudly as it stars heating up. Got to love steam, ya fix one thing only to have something else happen.

Tom I will PM you. Thanks.
  • Fred
    Options
    Replace that radiator vent and see if that eliminates the problem. Do you have good venting on the mains? If not, all that air in the mains will have to push out of the small radiator vents and that may be a source of the problem. Also, the radiator that pings is most likely expansion noise. Cut some small plastic discs out of a milk carton and put one under each radiator foot. That will likely fix that issue (allows the radiator to slide easily when expanding).
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    what's your boiler pressure set to?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options
    .5 and 1
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options

Actually I have a question, what are the dials supposed to be set at? Is it....
    Inside .5 outside 1
    or
    Inside 1 outside .5
    ???

Thanks.
  • Fred
    Options
    Does the inside say "additive" or "Subtractive" differential?
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    is that it in that picture?
    not used to White Rodgers,
    another picture showing a little more around it??
    model # ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    looks like a 1204-5 with the metal cover, the diff is additive iirc.
  • Fred
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If additive, set the outside to .5 PSI and the inside to "1". That should give you a 1.5 PSI cut-out and a .5 PSI Cut-in.
  • Steve_in_NH
    Options
    Yes the cover says 1204-5 inside it. I don't see additive or subtractive written anywhere though.
  • Fred
    Options
    @Abracadabra , clearly is familiar with that control. If he says it's Additive, trust that it is.