Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO & automatic water feeder

Options
Oakvu
Oakvu Member Posts: 26
Recently installed Megasteam and had a question about the LWCOs. There are 2 LWCOs (probe type & MM67 float type). The MM67 also has an automatic water feeder. I don't trust automatic water feeders and would like to shut the "automatic" part off. Can this be done by simply closing the water valve that leads to the MM67? The MM67 LWCO will still operate as intended to prevent a low water situation, however I would need to manually feed water if needed.

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    yes
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The shut-off valve should be on the water pipe that goes into the MM #101A. That's the auto water feeder. Shut that valve off and then you can manually feed water into the boiler.There really shouldn't be a valve on the MM#67.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    The only problem I see is that if the MM calls for water -- which it will before it hits the low water switch -- the feeder will still try to feed, and you'll get some really crazy numbers on it.

But why don't you trust them? Most of them work just fine most of the time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I guess I made the assumption they used a MM water feeder along with the MM #67 LWCO. My mistake. They could have used a different water feeder, with a water meter on it. Jamie is correct, if the water feeder has a meter on it. If it does not have a water meter on it, then obviously not an issue.
  • Oakvu
    Oakvu Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't trust the automatic water feeder because of hidden leaks in the system. I had to replace 2 boilers in 21 years due to the boiler failing. First, I had a radiator that leaked condensate for years. The auto feeder kept the boiler at the normal water level and I never realized the system was leaking. Boiler failed in 9 years. Luckily replaced via the warranty. Replacement boiler recently failed due to a leak above the water line. Once again I was losing water up the chimney but never knew it. Without the automatic feeder, I would have been able to diagnose the problem and possibly avoided the problems of replacing the boiler.
    BobC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    One should make a habit of checking in on the boiler once a week. If you do that you will see when you have a problem long before it becomes catastrophic. This in my opinion is the only way to truly avoid the issues you are worried about.

If you were losing steam up the chimney the autofeeder was helping you at that point. Once it's going up the chimney the boiler is dead feeder or not.

Have you found the cause of the early failures yet?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Oakvu said:

I don't trust the automatic water feeder because of hidden leaks in the system. I had to replace 2 boilers in 21 years due to the boiler failing. First, I had a radiator that leaked condensate for years. The auto feeder kept the boiler at the normal water level and I never realized the system was leaking. Boiler failed in 9 years. Luckily replaced via the warranty. Replacement boiler recently failed due to a leak above the water line. Once again I was losing water up the chimney but never knew it. Without the automatic feeder, I would have been able to diagnose the problem and possibly avoided the problems of replacing the boiler.

Which is why you have a meter on the feeder. Right? I would much rather have a meter telling me that Cedric is using more water than it should (it isn't, don't worry) than have to have someone check the boiler daily for water level, so as not to be without heat if I go away. I do check the boiler daily, to see that all is well -- and one of the checks is the meter reading.

I agree, though -- if you don't have a meter and don't pay attention and do have a leak, you have a problem...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    You should have a VXT feeder with a digital counter. Best of all worlds, well worth the price.

I agree a feeder without a counter is the worst of all possible worlds.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    You could also disconnect a wire from terminal #4 on the MM #67 and tape or wire nut it to electrically disconnect the water feeder.