Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I mount low-pressure gauge horizontally?

Options
Can I mount the 0-3 psi gauge I just bought horizontally? The mounting nipple on the gauge is oriented on the dial where 6 o'clock would be on a clock face. I do not mind turning my head sideways to read the gauge if I mount it horizontally, but I want to check to make sure that for some mysterious physics reason, it requires vertical mounting. This will be mounted on a fitting that will attach to the pigtail that currently serves just the pressuretrol. When my installation is finished, that one pigtail will serve both the pressuretrol and the 0-3 psi gauge. Of course, the pressuretrol will continue to be mounted vertically, as normal.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Not a problem but you can also use an elbow so that it can be mounted vertically.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    If you mount the gauge horizontally there's a good change it's going to end up holding water.

My experience was the pig tail tends to trap moisture in that area and the gauges usually ended up with water in them, even vertically.

I would avoid horizontal mounting.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    It's best to go over with a nipple and then a 90 and then attach the gauge.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @ChrisJ , what's wrong with water in a gage? It's the same gage used on water or steam systems.

Also, some mention "priming a pigtail" ridiculous, steam will condense in the pigtail the first time the system makes steam and form a water seal.