Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I think I need a new boiler

Options
uppr
uppr Member Posts: 2
So today I noticed my heat off and went downstairs and had water from under my steam OIL boiler. Turned the system off and called for service.

Guy came and looked at the water said since it was rusty water it meant boiler was cracked and I needed a new one. Checked a couple more things and she wed me water sitting in the system. Said a sales guy would contact me tomorrow.

I'm thinking since I'm getting a new one now might be the time to move to gas as I have a line in my house anyway.

I have our gas company (pseg) coming out in the morning for an estimate and I may contact a local guy for an estimate as well.

Couple of questions

1. Will the gas company offer me a deal to switch as they want my recurring business. Is there some game I need to play?

2. Is local the way to go?

3. Do I just believe the service guy and say it's shot? Do I look for a 2nd opinion? The boiler is about 15 years old. He opened up the top of the unit and showed be water sitting in the base.

He disconnected the auto water feeder so I can fill manually and deal with the water on the ground for the next day or so. So far in the past 3 hours there is not a lot of dissipation of the water in the glass and not much on the floor. So I'm wondering why it's not leaking as it runs?

It sucks as whatever I do I need to do it soon as to not freeze out the family.

Where can I get a deal?

Also. Is there a benefit to staying with oil?

Luckilly for contractors I don't know much about this stuff.

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    Get a second opinion, the water being rusty in the sight glass doesn't mean that the boiler is cracked. Where are you located?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • uppr
    uppr Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in North Jersey but the water isn't in the glass it's on my floor. The water he showed me was inside the unit that I saw thru the coils.
    EzzyT
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    My company is located in northern NJ, Ill send you a private message with my contact info.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Get EzzyT out there, he is a great steam contractor! You want to be extremely careful with a steam install, there are details that need to be correct or you will be very disappointed.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJRomanGK_26986764589
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Indeed. @EzzyT is the man to get on the job. Don't just rely on the local gas company or a "guy". It is quite possible that you do have a problem with the boiler. It is also quite possible that you have a easily fixed problem with a fitting or a valve. So long as you make sure you always have water in the sight glass, you are OK to run the thing, so don't panic -- and don't let yourself get pushed. Do it right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I second gettin EzzyT out there!!! Maybe the boiler is leaking but Water can come from a wet return pipe just as well. In any case, if you need a new boiler, let EzzyT do the installation.. We can all vouch that it will be done right, first time!
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    @EzzyT for sure.
    The gas company will still want your business, but never trust the fuel provider to install a boiler. It's not in their best interest for the system to be efficient.

EzzyT also know's steam which is important.
    He doesn't just say he knows it, he actually does.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    RomanGK_26986764589