Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strange thing happened after I added some more rectorseal to boiler

JimmyNJ
JimmyNJ Member Posts: 107
Over the weekend I decided to add some more 8-way rectorseal to my boiler as the water in the sight glass was just barely a shade of purple. When I got my boiler serviced earlier in the fall by the very capable @Dave0176 he had used some of contents of the bottle to get the color to a nice shade of light purple and when the boiler fired the water in the sight glass had just the regular bouncing (less than 1"). I was trying to get back to the shade of purple he had achieved but I may have overdone it as I poured the rest of the bottle in (which was around 3/4 full) -- well the results was that the water turned into a very deep purple.....and strangely enough, when the boiler starts going all the water in the sight glass almost disappears, the 0-5psi pressure gauge (which barely moved before) shows some pressure and then when the thermostat is satisfied the water level returns in the sight glass (see related pictures above). Now, I have tried to flush out some of the boiler water (lots of murky water - or maybe it just looks super murky because of the treatment) after a couple of heating cycles and added more but the water is still pretty much a dark purple and still disappears from sight glass when firing. Is it possible that I added "too much" rectorseal to the boiler? why would the water in the sight glass almost disappear? I thought that happened more when there was to much oil in the boiler. any ideas on what to do? should I simply try to "flush" out the boiler more?

Comments