Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mounting the Taco 007e with pics added

Options
JimQ
JimQ Member Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi Folks: I just had a new heating system installed which utilizes the new Taco 007e circulators. After it was installed I read the literature for all the equipment. According to the Data Information sheet on these valves, the electrical connections should be in the 9 o'clock position. For some reason, the installer put the two heating zone circulators in upside down with the connections in 3 o'clock position. The one that goes to the indirect water heater is mounted horizontally with the connector in the six oclock position. I think I will call the contractor and inquire, but I wanted to ask you folks for your opinions? Thank You.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Call the contractor, show him the instructions. Either he will fix them, or tell you that he always does it that way and never had a problem.
    But he should fix them.
    From Taco
    "...Any Taco product or part not installed or operated
    in conformity with Taco instructions or which has
    been subject to misuse, misapplication... will
    not be covered by this warranty"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The orientation of the electrical connections should not effect operation. The way the circ (shaft) is oriented is very important.
    Do you have a picture?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JimQ
    Options
    I will get pics later today. Thank You for your rersponse! Jim
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    usually the motor can be rotated in the volute by removing 2 or 4 allen bolts. It will involve isolating the pump from the system to do that.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I suspect the reasons are due to water possibilly hanging out in the box.

You're not alone, many contractors make this mistake.

Just FYI, some contractors have fragile egos. Like everything in life you have to pick your battles.. then again some homeowners treat contractors like second-rate citizens. The toils of living in a first-world society
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    @JimQ

There are two things we look for as the most important when mounting any circulator;
    1. That the motor is horizontal (for proper lubrication of the bearings and air removal)
    2. that the electrical box is not below the motor (any water leaks and it doesnt short the system out) Electric above water.

So the instructions state the 9 o'clock position so that the print is in the proper orientation, the 3 o'clock position is just opposite depending upon the flow direction that was needed for your system. It can be taken apart as @Hotrod says just so the label is properly positioned.

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • JimQ
    Options
    I hope these images come through. I will call and request the body of the valves be rotated. The horizontal one to the water heater will have to have a longer wire installed when rotated. It makes sense for the electrical connection not to be below the water (Thanks Dave H)
  • JimQ
    Options
    Here is a pic of my new heating system with the indirect water heater.
  • GW
    Options
    I'm a stickler, our installs always have the lettering in the regular orientation. Takes 2 minutes or less to rotate the motor.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    Options
    JimQ said:

Here is a pic of my new heating system with the indirect water heater.

Sort of looks like the zone pumps are on the return lines?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Paul S_3Solid_Fuel_Man
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Saw that too. Perhaps the supply was not that accessible where it branches out? Go 1 pump on the supply and zone valves on the return would have been my resolution
    Paul S_3
  • JimQ
    Options
    Bob: Is that a problem? I have no idea. I was told by the installer zone valves will work on either side if the boiler.
  • GW
    Options
    Yes probably split loop
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Old habits die hard... some guys insist that the return is the correct place for circs. It will probably work just fine. As well as the 007e lettering being upside down, just unprofessional looking.

I'd rotate them, just for my OCD....but the one for the indirect should absolutly be rotated OCD or not.

The best place for circulators is on the boiler supply after the expansion tank. But on small residential jobs installers often get away with putting them on the return, rendering things less efficient, but still effective.

There is real science to back this all up, but you will probably be ok just rotating the circulator on the indirect.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Here is a good explanation and drawings of the pumping away concept.

http://smartgreenbuild.com/blog/download/591/

Gift the installers a copy of "Pumping Away" from the bookstore here.

If there are zone valves in the system you have 100% shutoff. if not you may experience un-wanted flow in zones when the thermostat is off, called ghost flow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • JimQ
    Options
    Thank You all for your advise. I set up an appointment and the installer will make the necessary changes.